Whats happening to my Monti??

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck is happening? It started as a small white spot, I thought it was just a little sand that got blown up there during a water change and over the course of a week or so it's turned into this. It's been in my tank for about 5 months it was growing and seemed to be thriving then bam all of a sudden.
Sal. 1.025
Calcium 508
Alkalinity 12.6
Ph 8.4
Phos. 0.14
Nitrate 2.13
It's been in the same position in the tank for the entire time. What could possibly be happening.

20210121_164007.jpg

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately had the same happen to some monte. Water test indicated high levels of Tin. Not sure if that’s the case here but how are others doing ?

OP
OP
D

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it's between 11 and 12 most of the time. And I use the Fluval 3.0 reef LED's
I set the tank up june

OP
OP
D

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately had the same happen to some monte. Water test indicated high levels of Tin. Not sure if that’s the case here but how are others doing ?
Zoas are thriving, GSP is spreading and thriving, mushrooms are great, Hammer coral is okay my BTA is enormous. I have 1 other a stylophora is stripping also so I moved it to the bottom of the tank and it just seems to be getting worse as well.

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running into a similar issue and my water had TIN in it - I think it can lead to STN in stony corals as I have lost / am losing most of them while my LPS and softies thrive.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a clearer picture? Have you checked for pests? I had a similar experience in a tank years ago, and that looks like monti eating nudis to me. Look for them at night with a flashlight they look like little white mops.

OP
OP
D

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then where should my alkalinity be and how do I get it there. Water changes?

OP
OP
D

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d shoot for 8.5-9 with your level of No3 and Po4. Don’t need to do anything just stop dosing. The numbers will fall on their own as its gets used up.
Thanks Flux. I appreciate the help. Will the coral recover over time, or do I need to frag that part off?

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at it an hour after lights out. Almost looks like damage from montipora eating nudibranchs...

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Flux. I appreciate the help. Will the coral recover over time, or do I need to frag that part off?
Hopefully it’s the high ALK causing the issue. If you confirm the nudis though you can dip the coral to try to get them, but it will take multiple dips to get all the adults and the ones that hatch from eggs. The dips do nothing to the eggs. The downside is they could be anywhere in the tank so I might try a wrasse. Yellow Coris would be my choice they are good pest eaters. They aren’t a gaurentee though. The good news is they only eat montis so if you lose this one, and don’t have any in the tank for a fallow period they should be gone. Then you can try them again in the future.

OP
OP
D

Dsumpter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Searched last night for pests to no avail. I did find a hermit crab on that Monti in the damaged area. I flicked him off. But none of those pesky little Monti eating bugs. Today is water change day so I'll get that done and then check parameters again this afternoon. I've been battling a green hair algae out break and my LFS suggested I dose reef builder once a week to help encourage coraline growth. I'm so new to this stuff I didn't know any better and that seems to be when things started to take a turn for the worst. I'll keep updated.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Searched last night for pests to no avail. I did find a hermit crab on that Monti in the damaged area. I flicked him off. But none of those pesky little Monti eating bugs. Today is water change day so I'll get that done and then check parameters again this afternoon. I've been battling a green hair algae out break and my LFS suggested I dose reef builder once a week to help encourage coraline growth. I'm so new to this stuff I didn't know any better and that seems to be when things started to take a turn for the worst. I'll keep updated.
That’s good news! Keep an eye out for the little buggers, and just keep the parameters as steady as possible. For what it’s worth the hermit was probably just eating algae on the dead area of the monti.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back