What's happening with this torch? Any thoughts?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks happy there but also looks like a lot of the skeleton poking through around the top. As noted by others low NO3 and PO4 could be an issue if it's not getting enough nutrition. Ca and Alk and Mg are also very important for stony corals. Especially stability for those 3. You could try target feeding a little to help with the nutrition if you haven't.

I would also be looking at some better test kits. The Api kit is notoriously not so good...
I use the Hanna DKH checker for Alk, ultra low phosphate for PO4. Salifert for Ca, Mg. Nyos is good for nitrate although I have recently switched to the Hanna high range NO3.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Red Sea for the alk cal and mg tests very important with lps corals. As for nitrate / phosphate try to increase through feeding more , most solid advice has been given

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also add I’ve dosed cipro to my display with no ill effects , it wasn’t for the torch lol but it still got it

Attachments

• 14E954C1-90E6-4869-943F-2A4F331ABCBF.jpeg
    14E954C1-90E6-4869-943F-2A4F331ABCBF.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
TigNJaxx

TigNJaxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks happy there but also looks like a lot of the skeleton poking through around the top. As noted by others low NO3 and PO4 could be an issue if it's not getting enough nutrition. Ca and Alk and Mg are also very important for stony corals. Especially stability for those 3. You could try target feeding a little to help with the nutrition if you haven't.

I would also be looking at some better test kits. The Api kit is notoriously not so good...
I use the Hanna DKH checker for Alk, ultra low phosphate for PO4. Salifert for Ca, Mg. Nyos is good for nitrate although I have recently switched to the Hanna high range NO3.
Yes, I have been target feeding. and I am aiming for the new hannah checker. I'll keep trying. Fed more today.

OP
OP
TigNJaxx

TigNJaxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also add I’ve dosed cipro to my display with no ill effects , it wasn’t for the torch lol but it still got it
Looks amazing. I'll get there eventually. :p TRYING hard, but may not be succeeding at the patience part of the hobby:p:p. Weird when you see a younger tank than yours that seems to be handing a whole bunch of corals etc, and have the coraline growth you are still hoping for. Mine has started, so that's good)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing. I'll get there eventually. :p TRYING hard, but may not be succeeding at the patience part of the hobby:p:p. Weird when you see a younger tank than yours that seems to be handing a whole bunch of corals etc, and have the coraline growth you are still hoping for. Mine has started, so that's good)
It’s a journey not a destination! Yr tank looks good , I am battling caulerpa right now haha and I get ya every tank is different tho , my sump grows coraline but not my display

OP
OP
TigNJaxx

TigNJaxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a journey not a destination! Yr tank looks good , I am battling caulerpa right now haha and I get ya every tank is different tho , my sump grows coraline but not my display
Thanks for the compliment. And yes, a journey, I know. :) Have some fish coming in tomorrow, then I'll let everything settle down and settle in again. See how that goes for a while. Save up for that tester haha! Slowly but surely.

Coraline in your sump? Interesting Hehehe It won't take long to travel I'm sure. I found medusa worms in my sump. Tried to clean the chaeto, but still see the little buggers in there. Guess I won't mess with them, not wanting to tick them off. Yikes! Apparently they have benefits, just not sure they outweigh their ill effects if agitated.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment. And yes, a journey, I know. :) Have some fish coming in tomorrow, then I'll let everything settle down and settle in again. See how that goes for a while. Save up for that tester haha! Slowly but surely.

Coraline in your sump? Interesting Hehehe It won't take long to travel I'm sure. I found medusa worms in my sump. Tried to clean the chaeto, but still see the little buggers in there. Guess I won't mess with them, not wanting to tick them off. Yikes! Apparently they have benefits, just not sure they outweigh their ill effects if agitated.
Ye , I think I have too many asterina stars thst love to eat coraline , I kno they eat it because they turn purple lol , my sump has a refugium that is growing alot of coraline probly because nothing is there to eat it

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have been target feeding. and I am aiming for the new hannah checker. I'll keep trying. Fed more today.
Target feeding isn't what we were referring to. Just overall increase in feeding. When the food and waste break down it becomes nutrients for the tank. Including fish food and poop.

OP
OP
TigNJaxx

TigNJaxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target feeding isn't what we were referring to. Just overall increase in feeding. When the food and waste break down it becomes nutrients for the tank. Including fish food and poop.
Yes, I understood that and had replied. Target feeding was also mentionned. I do target feed as well. I am increasing food and adding a midday feed time as well. Also working on the water parameter and testing. Hoping it turns around. Thanks again.

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I added after lights out , took out carbon, and did not water change after even , 250 mg a day for 50g for 10 days
Thanks, i have just dosed 3 ml of diluted Cipro( 500 mg Tablet disolved in 50 ml water) . The skimmer was on all the time or did you let him run as normal?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i have just dosed 3 ml of diluted Cipro( 500 mg Tablet disolved in 50 ml water) . The skimmer was on all the time or did you let him run as normal?
Since I didn’t water change I kept the skimmer on but I did turn it off for the night during dosing

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back