Whats it worth?

michael lyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this will be the first time I'm going to try to sell a coral , I have had my tank for about 4/5 years now give or take, and my hammer and torch are getting so big and taking over tank.
My question is how do I know how much to sell for ? I don't need a big credit at LFS. And I am not experienced enough to cut them up yet. Any suggestions would be greatly apricated

20211027_150210.jpg

Attachments

• 20211027_150404.mp4
    23.9 MB

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot depends on the number of heads and if it’s any special type. Most will give a per head price. It’ll vary depending locality too

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this will be the first time I'm going to try to sell a coral , I have had my tank for about 4/5 years now give or take, and my hammer and torch are getting so big and taking over tank.
My question is how do I know how much to sell for ? I don't need a big credit at LFS. And I am not experienced enough to cut them up yet. Any suggestions would be greatly apricated

20211027_150210.jpg
I would sell it for half as much as you bought it - But if you’re selling the whole thing then sell it for that amount but do it per head.
If I’m completely honest, I wouldn’t want to sell the whole thing and only sell maybe 1-2 heads since it’s such a nice colony and you have owned them for so long.

Last edited:

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell it for just as much as you bought it - But if you’re selling the whole thing then sell it for that amount but do it per head.
If I’m completely honest, I wouldn’t want to sell the whole thing and only sell maybe 1-2 heads since it’s such a nice colony and you have owned them for so long.
Nobody is going to buy if he sells it for retail price.

I would do 50% off retail price/head. Once you sell 2, you've already made back the money you spent on it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would do 50% off retail price/head. Once you sell 2, you've already made back the money you spent on it.
That’s true, I mean retail price can get quite over priced compared to the coral colours - I mean, just for a 1 headed green hammer, my LFS asks for £39 ($53)

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This might depend on location and who you're selling it to. I've seen local reefers here sell coral for about retail price. There tend to be buyers, especially for the popular coral (and hammers fit the bill). Though a LFS is obviously not going to pay you retail or give you the equivalent of retail in credit. The problem is that so many other hobbyists offer such good deals that those selling for retail don't sell it as fast.

It's really up to the buyer and their goals. OP - if you want to maximize your return, break up the colony into frags of a head or two, and sell it for retail (or just slightly below). But be prepared to sit on frags for weeks or even months. On the other hand, if it's mostly about space in your tank, sell some frags of it for about 1/2 of retail. Other hobbyists will appreciate you and you'll move the coral pretty quickly.

OP
OP
M

michael lyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I wanted to get rid of it was because it's a small tank 29g and it was starting to block the light for everything below it and there is no room to put it someplace else in the tank. I will try to cut it into it's different heads and just get rid of some of it.

Thanks for the idea's

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1635373691203.png

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck I have some montipora frags and a chalice frag I am trying to give away but nobody wants them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 18
Back