What's my problem?

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... with my Macros!

I have stocked my refugium with Red Ogo (GRACILARIA PARVISPORA) - both for nutrient export as well as to provide a staple food source for my Tangs (who can't seem to get enough of it). I stocked my 'huge with about 0.5 pounds from Algae Barn, and each day I take out a small piece and put it in an algae clip for my Tangs. My thinking was that if I started with a large enough biomass of Ogo in my refugium, I would get close to the point where the growth rate would make up for how much I took out daily to feed my fish (kinda).

Anyway, after a couple of weeks the Ogo doesn't look as healthy as it did when I first added it. There are areas where the algae looks pale, and other areas where it has turned slightly green.

I was wondering if this is either due to insufficient nutrients, or improper lightin? Or is this normal? See photos below. (NOTE - in the attached photos I am referring to the off-colored filaments in the "fronds" [if that's the right word] ... and not the white segments that make up the rhizome, which are normally white)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I light the refugium with a Kessil AW360 about 6" from the water surface at 50% illumination (power) for 12 hours a day on a reverse photo cycle.

I do my best to "turn" the Ogo over in my sump once a day (when I remember) to try and get more even illumination.

Using my Hanna checkers I have relatively low levels of both Nitrate (2.3 ppm) and Phosphate (0 ppm).

IMG_0959.jpeg IMG_0961.jpeg IMG_0962.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew Gracilaria Parvispora in outdoor greenhouse under Texas summers with PAR > 2000. The green color indicates low light intensity. Spectrum is not as important as intensity. Consider a longer photoperiod and/or more intense lights. Also, your zero phosphate number is not a good thing. If one trace mineral is missing, even with everything else perfect, desirable macro will suffer. Consider using ChaetoGrow and feeding more. ChaetoGrow has all trace minerals with no nitrogen or phosphate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back