Whats on my Live rock???? Purple tubes...

Npereira22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180513_200149.jpg
20180513_200149.jpg

New to saltwater, and 3 weeks into fishless cycle. Pucked this up today from my lfs and saw these on it...

View attachment 20180513_200237.jpg

OP
OP
N

Npereira22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Those look like zoanthids. Congratulations on your first coral!

~Bruce

Thank you! How would you suggest I operate my lighting. I have been leaving it off exclusively theough cycle for the most part to avoid any algea blooms.

Now with the coral in the picture whats the optimal lighting cycle / time of day?

I have whites and blues LED...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! How would you suggest I operate my lighting. I have been leaving it off exclusively theough cycle for the most part to avoid any algea blooms.

Now with the coral in the picture whats the optimal lighting cycle / time of day?

I have whites and blues LED...
This would all depend on the type of zoa's they are. Generally, they are not high light corals. How far along are you in your cycle? Chances are if you slowly ramp up your lighting over time they will acclimate. I would run limited to no whites and start with blues only for a couple of weeks slowly ramping up the lighting to meet your coral's needs. The blue only lighting will not encourage nuisance algae growth like the whites. They will let you know when they are unhappy. And, welcome!

OP
OP
N

Npereira22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would all depend on the type of zoa's they are. Generally, they are not high light corals. How far along are you in your cycle? Chances are if you slowly ramp up your lighting over time they will acclimate. I would run limited to no whites and start with blues only for a couple of weeks slowly ramping up the lighting to meet your coral's needs. The blue only lighting will not encourage nuisance algae growth like the whites. They will let you know when they are unhappy. And, welcome!

3.5 weeks in today. Had my water tested today at my lfs and they said all looked good with the exception of the amonia level being slightly high...(2)

Thats when i picked up the live rock, along with some instant ocean Bio-Spira.

Ill leave the light off for a few days and slowly transition to blues and fingers crossed the Zoa can thrive.

Planning a 10% water change next weekend at just over 4 weeks, 1 month into new setup

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, they are looking purdy as well. ;)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back