What's on my zoa frag

JSilbs Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Noticed these growing on my Pixie Dust zoa frag. This is the only place these have appeared in the tank, If anyone can ID what this is and or has solutions to eliminate if needed would appreciate the help!

JAS_1461.jpg
JAS_1462.jpg
JAS_1465.jpg

OP
OP
JSilbs Reef

JSilbs Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hydroids
Thanks for the reply. Have not experienced these before as I'm new to the hobby. Based on a quick search they seem not to great to have around, Any way clear it out or am I better off cutting my losses and getting rid of the frag from the tank?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not terrible but they can cause the zoas to close up. I find that if I pull on one while siphoning out the tank just like you would pulling hair algae, you can often pull a whole bunch of them at once as they’re connected.

OP
OP
JSilbs Reef

JSilbs Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in my tank as well but in small numbers. No issues so I leave it alone for now.
Great! thanks again for the info
They’re not terrible but they can cause the zoas to close up. I find that if I pull on one while siphoning out the tank just like you would pulling hair algae, you can often pull a whole bunch of them at once as they’re connected.
Good to know! At the moment hasn't had much effect as the zoa is still opening up but I will def try this technique later in hopes of removing some of it. Thanks for the reply

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back