What's on the bottom of your bare bottom? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the exact same material on my old 180. It warped considerably and lifted even with a ton of Momentive RTV-103 silicone underneath. Would never use it again. Never had this issue with Starboard.
Good luck.

Happen to know Greg's tank is built with a PVC bottom. Not a retrofit.. if I were to go the retrofit route, I think Starboard is a great choice

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gcarroll may want to chime in here, but...

The tank manufacturer builds the tank with a hybrid PVC bottom. It's not typical glass or acrylic like many other tanks out there.

As for the retrofit, many bare bottom TANK aficionados will add a piece of Starboard or similar to protect the bottom of the tank from things like falling rock etc.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gcarroll may want to chime in here, but...

The tank manufacturer builds the tank with a hybrid PVC bottom. It's not typical glass or acrylic like many other tanks out there.

As for the retrofit, many bare bottom TANK aficionados will add a piece of Starboard or similar to protect the bottom of the tank from things like falling rock etc.
Yes.My last three builds have been BB. Two with King Starboard. I was referring to BRS’ build with ABS.

Jack22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving my tank in a month or two, thankfuly it is just going to be from one side of my house to the other. I’m considering doing a bare bottom with black ABS like in the video.

If I put down the ABS and decide I want to do sand instead, can I put sand down on top of the ABS?

Would the marineland aquarium silicone work for sticking it to the bottom? I have a tube left from building my sump. How long do I need to let the silicone cure before I add water to the tank?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving my tank in a month or two, thankfuly it is just going to be from one side of my house to the other. I’m considering doing a bare bottom with black ABS like in the video.
If I put down the ABS and decide I want to do sand instead, can I put sand down on top of the ABS?
Would the marineland aquarium silicone work for sticking it to the bottom? I have a tube left from building my sump. How long do I need to let the silicone cure before I add water to the tank?

I don't see any reason why you can't throw sand on top of the ABS and I think that silicon will work just fine. We let our's cure for at least 24hrs. :)

Last edited:

jjjameson333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find the best “faux sand” finish for my bare bottom SPSDominated tank.

I’m bought into the abs plastic and may default to black or deep sea blue, but I’m seeking input on anyone that has a clean look of faux sand? I’m sure something exists or there is a solution, I just haven’t found it yet, other than the below options I’ve considered.

I haven’t found a rough textured sand colored abs, though that could look chintzy if flat “tan”.

Alternatively, I’ve found some desert sand vinyl wall covering, but I wonder if it’s reef safe? I think it’s the kind for RV/camper/Mobile home walls or bathrooms.

I’ve considered grainy sand spray paint and wonder if anyone knows if/how spray paint can be reef safe or sealed to be so?

I could put these finishes underneath clear acrylic but hope to have a “faux sandy finish/look” on the top surface of my “bare bottom” tank.

Lastly, I have another idea I’m sure has been tried- has anyone tried mirrored plastic on the bottom and what material? I found mirrored “stick-on” tiles that are some kind of plastic on Amazon... thoughts? I don’t want seems but I’m sure I can hide most with rock and coral or perhaps sprayed on sand finish.... it could get a little crazy looking with the mirrors... does anyone have good photos? I am new to RC and forums and struggling looking through all the info efficiently

Thank you!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the exact same material on my old 180. It warped considerably and lifted even with a ton of Momentive RTV-103 silicone underneath. Would never use it again. Never had this issue with Starboard.
Good luck.

Are you saying the ABS or PVC warped?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bare bottom tank for a while. Then I plumb it and add sand and water. :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back