What's on the bottom of your bare bottom? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RickJamesYeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone had issues with the ABS warping? I installed a sheet of ABS sheet (siliconed around like the BRS vid) in my reefer 625 and now is warping and lifting in a few areas. Think I am going to have to remove everything in my tank to remove it... is it worth it or just deal with it?

@randyBRS any thoughts?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get the cover your bottom with starboard. But whatever makes you happy I guess. I covered mine in corals and coralline lol.
20200201_104734.jpg

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black starboard in my last build. I had glass before and super glue just doesn't stick well on glass and snails and urchins moved corals around too much. Sticks way better on starboard, in fact I only use a tiny bit of glue now because it's really hard to pop them off the starboard if needed. If the corals stuck better to glass and rocks didn't slide around I would just paint the exterior as I have done before.

I have used white starboard before and it reflected too much light up and was too intense for the lps I wanted on the bottom and gave a washed out look to me. Same on my FW tanks, the white made the plants look strange to me with reflected light.

After having BB tanks for 6 plus years I flat out won't do sand again. Tried doing one a couple years ago for old time sake and it was just trouble for me.

Doesn't the black absorb the heat more and warm up the tank? I would love to use black starboard for my upcoming build but am worried of if it would cook my fish and coral.

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I would add that it's not a bad idea to cut the bottom material with a small space between the glass and the material, not for silicone but just in case the material expands at all it will break the seam. Starboard is stable in saltwater, but if you have it snug and it expands even a little over 5 or 10 years it's going to be a bad time. I left around 1/4" gap for this reason. While my OCD hates it, you don't notice when tank is running.

Yikes, thanks for the tip. I would have cut the starboard super precise coz of my mild OCD; didnt even think of material expanding.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use a plastic cutting tool (an internet search will bring many of them up), score the sheet several times and bend it over to snap it free. Works like a charm! :)
Where can I buy starboard? I have a 30" by 30" 93 gallon cube I am planning to get started soon.

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shores805 saw you had the same issue... that did you end up doing?
I know I'm a bit late but I had the same issue in my 625. The silicone did not adhear well to the ABS. I ended up removing it and scraping as much of the silicone off as I could. It left a residue that can be seen when the algae builds up

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't the black absorb the heat more and warm up the tank? I would love to use black starboard for my upcoming build but am worried of if it would cook my fish and coral.
Where can I buy starboard? I have a 30" by 30" 93 gallon cube I am planning to get started soon.

I have not had any issues with heat and black bottom. Water is a great heat transfer medium, I just keep my tank at 77 and honestly I have not thought about the temp in years.

I get my starboard cut from tap plastics, although I have trimmed it with a cordless circ saw.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is that starboard has a non-negligible thermal expansion coefficient. 96" of starboard will expand 3/16" to 1/4" in a 30 degree temp swing. So dont install a starboard base at 50 degrees, and then expect to use it at 80, without leaving some expansion room all around, otherwise it will bow up and be awful. Ask me how i know.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back