What's on the bottom of your bare bottom? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reason why you can throw sand on top of the ABS and I think that silicon will work just fine. We let our's cure for at least 24hrs. :)
@randyBRS #askBRStv

Is there any reason not to glue a layer of sand to the ABS to achieve a sandy bottom look but not inhibit flow capability? Obviously, there will be some detritus capture in between particles, but that should be minimal with a higher flow rate. In theory, this would be a good hybrid between BB and sand.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS #askBRStv

Is there any reason not to glue a layer of sand to the ABS to achieve a sandy bottom look but not inhibit flow capability? Obviously, there will be some detritus capture in between particles, but that should be minimal with a higher flow rate. In theory, this would be a good hybrid between BB and sand.
You’d basically be making sandpaper. Might not be good for fish and critters.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS #askBRStv

Hmm, this sounds like a fun one to experiment with. I haven't seen an approach like this done before so I'm not sure how it would play out in the short/long term, but would be fun for someone to play around with. :)

My question would be how to get an even coat of glue (and what glue to use) across the entire bottom. Maybe roll some silicone out onto the board?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need your thoughts guys..
so I have decided to have one tank BB and the other sand. I really like sand it makes me happy keeping it clean not so much tho...

thinking about the soon to be set up IM 25 lagoon with sand as it might be easier to work with in a shallow tank? then the 36x24 90 gal BB?

wight or black for the bottom?
what thickness to go with?
textured or non?
silicone to the side of tank to keep crap out or just the bottom?

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting the bottom of the tank white has been my favorite method.. it really gives a good illusion of sand while keeping the ease of BB...

3eda60bd29ca5f943cee746ae853f146.jpg

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Starboard in the bottom of my tank. I LOVE bare bottom and wouldn't do another acro tank with sand. That said, I don't know if I'd use Starboard again and would likely just go with a glass bottom, unless it's something built into the tank like Greg's. I think the problem with gluing sand or other material to the bottom is it will quickly be covered by coraline like my Starboard is, so not much point.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left mine glass... gets covered with coralline anyways. I have painted the bottom with textured stone paint that looks just like sand and that would be my go-to method.

Otherwise just cover it all up with corals!

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting the bottom of the tank white has been my favorite method.. it really gives a good illusion of sand while keeping the ease of BB...

3eda60bd29ca5f943cee746ae853f146.jpg

I really like that look! I've been debating going BB on my new build, but I love the look of sand. However, I'm trying to keep it as ULM as possible. So I think BB is what I'm going to have to do. That's why I'm curious about how to get a good look of sand. What kind of paint did you use? On the outside, I'm presuming?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone mention stone tile? I did my kitchen backslash in travertien and have a few boxes left. Now it does have quartz and other minerials running threw it in veins. But it is very porous and can be flipped over if it gets nasty.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone mention stone tile? I did my kitchen backslash in travertien and have a few boxes left. Now it does have quartz and other minerials running threw it in veins. But it is very porous and can be flipped over if it gets nasty.

Interesting. I used these for frag plates when I was chopping out of my basement years ago. Would be cool to see on the bottom and seemingly beneficial from a surface area standpoint.

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that look! I've been debating going BB on my new build, but I love the look of sand. However, I'm trying to keep it as ULM as possible. So I think BB is what I'm going to have to do. That's why I'm curious about how to get a good look of sand. What kind of paint did you use? On the outside, I'm presuming?
Yes, on the outside. I have done this on my last 2 or 3 tanks and I love it. You have to get creative where the brace is on the bottom. But you can get some paint under there and then some good rock or coral placement hides it well.

I just use a good quality white spray paint..

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black starboard in my last build. I had glass before and super glue just doesn't stick well on glass and snails and urchins moved corals around too much. Sticks way better on starboard, in fact I only use a tiny bit of glue now because it's really hard to pop them off the starboard if needed. If the corals stuck better to glass and rocks didn't slide around I would just paint the exterior as I have done before.

I have used white starboard before and it reflected too much light up and was too intense for the lps I wanted on the bottom and gave a washed out look to me. Same on my FW tanks, the white made the plants look strange to me with reflected light.

After having BB tanks for 6 plus years I flat out won't do sand again. Tried doing one a couple years ago for old time sake and it was just trouble for me.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I would add that it's not a bad idea to cut the bottom material with a small space between the glass and the material, not for silicone but just in case the material expands at all it will break the seam. Starboard is stable in saltwater, but if you have it snug and it expands even a little over 5 or 10 years it's going to be a bad time. I left around 1/4" gap for this reason. While my OCD hates it, you don't notice when tank is running.

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I would add that it's not a bad idea to cut the bottom material with a small space between the glass and the material, not for silicone but just in case the material expands at all it will break the seam. Starboard is stable in saltwater, but if you have it snug and it expands even a little over 5 or 10 years it's going to be a bad time. I left around 1/4" gap for this reason. While my OCD hates it, you don't notice when tank is running.

I just ordered ABS sheet for mine but I'm thinking I'll cancel and get Starboard. I think the gap is a good idea, plus a bevel to go around the tank silicone. Could you not just cover the top of the gap with silicone as well since it will prevent detritus from collecting in the gap and is flexible if anything shifts?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered ABS sheet for mine but I'm thinking I'll cancel and get Starboard. I think the gap is a good idea, plus a bevel to go around the tank silicone. Could you not just cover the top of the gap with silicone as well since it will prevent detritus from collecting in the gap and is flexible if anything shifts?

Yea I don’t see why you couldn’t cover it but I don’t get concerned about the tiny amount of detritus, clean up crew seems to do a good job and either way long term it’s not a big deal and it all blends in eventually.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back