What's one fish you regret ever having bought?

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue-spotted Jawfish. The fish looked depressed in the tank. As much as I love them, I won't have another. That's one that needs to stay in the ocean.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon Gold stripe Clown Fish - Female Adult. This was in my 125 packed SPS tank. Everytime I reached into the tank and was anywhere near her area - Whack she nailed me.

Tried to catch her with nets -- No Go
Tried with Traps - No Go
Tried with Siphon - No Go
Tried with Wet Dry Vac - No Go

Finally opened my hand wide spread and reached right into 'her' area. She of course bit be in the meat between thumb and pointer finger. And when she bit down I yanked my hand back - Pulling the fish out of the tank and onto the floor.

She spent many years after that in an outdoor rock sump before she found a home at a classroom tank out in Palm Springs.

I hated that fish.

There have been angels here and there that have torn into corals. And I have always been able to easily catch troublemakers. But she was a pain.

Dave B
Lol. I have an ocelaris that I don’t even flinch anymore when it bites me! Lol.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clown I had was I think the only fish I've had to draw blood although my 10yo female true Percula comes close. Damsels, my psychotic purple tang from hell, and most all clowns other than Perculas. I'll never have another coral beauty either. Took years before that fish died and it left carnage in its wake. Orange peel angel that ate a $350 Wellso. Fish are like people though, some are bad, and some are not. And yeah, my sixline has been a model citizen. I have a couple blue sapphire damsels and they have been awesome up until they decided to get their damsel on and be a little nasty and teritorial. Forget the lies about nice damsels they are all monsters eventually.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor blenny, but my fault, not his. Definitely not reef safe. Mine looooooved favites

Rick2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second pair of clownfish. Went horribly. They were babies and were fine for a year in my nano. Then one picked off the other. Fair enough. Then the single clown left stated nesting in my torches and lobos. I thought it looked cute. Torch died…my lobo (of all things) receded 90%, but I put it in my coral qt tank and it came back after a month. Clownfish reef safe? Yeah right.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemonpeel Angel. One of the most beautiful bright yellow fish. I thought I would take a chance with it in my SPS reef, thinking it would only pick at LPS. Wrong. Within hours after adding it, it was sampling just about very SPS frag that I had! I tried to trap it for weeks, but finally had to break down and remove 90% of the reef to catch him.

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fish, but my Pistol Shrimp. The dynamic with the Yellow Watchman Goby is cool and all, but I’m sick and tired of the constant sand mountains, corals getting buried and/or moved, entire rock work getting toppled over, etc. I will never own one ever again after he passes.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fish but I hated my peppermint shrimps and cleaner shrimp
I just picked up two peppermint shrimp in one tank and a cleaner for the other. What do I need to look out for?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order- my yellow tail damsels I had to remove them ascthey started to nibble on my sps. Next would be my clowns, as they’ve “loved” to death 2 Gonis (favorites no less) and a Frogspawn most recently. They’re still with me though I might move them to an sps dominant tank I’m setting up in the coming weeks. Top of the list is —the Splendid Dottyback I re-homed recently. It could be an absolute terror esp. in the 30 I had previously.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly one because I have 3 of them but definitely regret getting Chalk Bass. I have a tank full of dwarf angelfish and the Chalk Bass have damaged more coral. They regularly spazz out, running into coral and breaking acros. They bounce off the lid splashing water out of the tank and when they're not spazzing out they're just laying on the sand bed. Also, at least 2 out of the 3 practically have pop eye at all times from running into to stuff. Oh they've eaten shrimp I was sure we're too big to fit in there mouths, including the largest cleaner shrimp the lfs had recently.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Brown. Bullied to death numerous fish and initially I couldn’t even catch him to give him away to LFS.
Now he is more mellow and coexist with many other fish, including those which I introduced recently.He is the most active fish I have and gives me lots of joy, so I have forgiven him his deadly sins.
This is how I feel about my yellow tang. She was so sweet as a baby, but just a few months later she turned into the devil fish. Her body count is 5 so far... she bullied $400 worth of anthias and a yellow eyed kole tang to death. :( She even went after the azure damsels I recently added. Ridiculous! 3 of the damsels have survived, but I believe they may have picked off the other 2 and can't for sure blame it on the tang. Weird thing is, she used to be best buddies with the much larger tomini tang I used to have. Followed him around like a puppy. So I thought she'd accept another bristletooth tang, but no dice. Hopefully she settles down eventually. I do love having her and she's beautiful to look at. Just a PITA right now, lol!

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happens to me with a blue spotted jaw fish and maroon clowns(which also bite) Maroon clowns swim halfway up the tank to drop sand. Blue spotted jaw fish loves spitting all over the place as well ( what makes it 10x worse is that it changes burrows every night)
dude believe me I feel your pain! I get so frustrated!! i might actually attempt to trap him. Im thinking about just 3d printing some sort of fish trap or something. He spits sand on some of my nicest pieces and it just drives me crazy! Lol
I love blue spotted jaw fish. Mine is just an average goby so he’s pushing his luck! A blue spotted jaw fish… id be a little more flexible with lol….jkjk

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
my tomini tang. i got it very small with the intention to transferring it and the rest of my livestock to a bigger tank, but i changed my mind and won’t be upgrading so now once the tang gets bigger i’ll have to rehome it.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get rid of my neon dottyback and my splendid dottyback. With them in the tank (105 gal) I could not add any other new fish. They would bully them to death. Hate those two fish even though I think they look awesome.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back