What's something that grew out of control in your reef tank?

Have you ever lost control of a coral or pest in your tank?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 205 58.7%
  • No I'm Proactive

Votes: 51 14.6%
  • No I'm Lucky

Votes: 81 23.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Cespitularia. I really think it is a beautiful soft coral, but I had to scrape it off the back of the tank, the overflows, and got rid of some rock before I got smart about it. I changes my aquascape to isolate it and just keep an eye it trying to reach out to other rocks. I know only takes up about 1/3 of my tank.

cp1.jpg
Same here! I put it on rocks in the back and there they stay.

Mystery Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Discosoma mushrooms. They came with a bunch of inherited live rock and I can’t wait to find every one of them a new home. They literally reproduce daily. Anybody want to trade?
AA94DF38-4E9C-4A2A-951D-855E8DA6E20C.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I mean, technically out of MY control is simply nature/the fish tank in control so is there really a true out of control? Everything is just doing what it needs to. Even death is in control, right?
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green polyp sarcophyton that I got as a quarter sized frag. As it grew over the years I couldn't bring myself to trim it. It eventually occupied a third of the 50 gal. long I had it in and was attached to over half of the rockscape. I broke down the tank last year to move up to a 125 gal. and decided to rehome the toadstool because it would take up too much room in the new tank. I traded it in for credit at the LFS and had to use a storage tote to move it because it wouldn't fit in a 5 gal bucket.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green polyp sarcophyton that I got as a quarter sized frag. As it grew over the years I couldn't bring myself to trim it. It eventually occupied a third of the 50 gal. long I had it in and was attached to over half of the rockscape. I broke down the tank last year to move up to a 125 gal. and decided to rehome the toadstool because it would take up too much room in the new tank. I traded it in for credit at the LFS and had to use a storage tote to move it because it wouldn't fit in a 5 gal bucket.
That's insane man. Any pictures?

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got any pictures of it at it's largest. I'm one of those fossils that doesn't have a smartphone and the camera on my wife's tablet isn't very good. I need to make the move to a smartphone or at least invest in a decent digital camera. I've just recently joined the R2R community and everyone wants pictures!

lumpadelic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow infused clove polyps, I’m about to throw in the towel and frag all of the acros on the rock that are covering to get rid of them.

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have "coral pest", any coral. Nothing seems to grow in my tank, excpet a huge anemone

N8trixx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't gotten gha yet... unfortunately I got Aiptasia grabbed some peppermint shrimp and they didn't get the job done

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back