What's something that grew out of control in your reef tank?

Have you ever lost control of a coral or pest in your tank?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 205 58.7%
  • No I'm Proactive

Votes: 51 14.6%
  • No I'm Lucky

Votes: 81 23.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Discosoma mushrooms. They came with a bunch of inherited live rock and I can’t wait to find every one of them a new home. They literally reproduce daily. Anybody want to trade?
AA94DF38-4E9C-4A2A-951D-855E8DA6E20C.jpeg
ill take some if you can ship

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia, vermetid snails, Cyano and diatoms. AAFF sorted the aiptasia (Well to my eyes anyway I have no doubt they are there somewhere). Vermetid snails still on every square inch of rock. I have them in my frag tank and have to clean the plugs every few months as they are everywhere. Finally I think I have beaten diatoms by removing my Rowaphos reactor and allowing my phosphates to rise a little.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered No, I'm lucky.

I had a green paly eradicating all other zoas and invading many areas they weren't supposed to... until 1 of my 3 filefish tried them and the other 2 followed him.

I have a huge area at the back filled with BTA's and every week I would have at least 2 or 3 moving to places they shouldn't. Recently I realised that I haven't found a single one out of their island in a very long time.

Once again, the 3 filefish are keeping them in check. They rip their tentacles and if an anemone is isolated, it becomes an easy target. The anemones have been able to sustain their damage in the colony because it's distributed.

Screenshot_20210514-231927_YouTube.jpg
Beautiful tank very unique

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a monti cap....took over everything in its path. Eventually tore down the tank just to get rid of it.
monti.jpg
What kind of coral is the pinkish one? Need to start learning going to put in coral soon. By the way Really nice tank

JustJoan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said Other, which just means NOT YET! You know it's coming!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral is the pinkish one? Need to start learning going to put in coral soon. By the way Really nice tank
The pink one is the Monti cap....that is the coral that took over and completely covered the rock. The smaller pink/blue encrusting one in the front is a Reverse Superman Monti.....also started to claim the whole left side of the tank lol. I rebooted that tank due to those two coral. They are nice looking and fast growing, but you have to keep them under control, especially when you have limited space like I did.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had clove polyps hitchhike in on some branching Fiji. Couldn’t get on too of them with boiling kalk as it was really fine branching rock and there was always somewhere to hide… cut my SPS frags off there and just dried the rock out before curing it again. Also Fake Lime Chilli Zoas. Their growth rate is insane!!!

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These little brown polyps. Absolutely the devil. They can send out shoots that travel all the way under a rock to the other side. They overwhelm EVERYTHING and are indestructible. Not sure where they came from. I’m constantly scraping them off with a wire brush and crab pick around any coral I don’t want them to kill.

3EF1ED3D-FCF6-495F-B6EE-EFC7BB1B1324.jpeg 6500AC05-7EA4-40C5-9EC6-31A8210D5365.jpeg 781D6263-71DB-431B-BF1A-CB64E431D115.jpeg 2F01538E-2E8D-40FA-BFBB-9FD8F70B488B.jpeg

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe people consider out of control xenia, kenya tree and BTAs a bad thing. Any of that stuff is worth a fortune at your LFS, make a deal with them for cash instead of credit.

I have a rock covered in GSP and another one in xenia that I chisel a few chunks off from every few months. These guys don't spread around the tank, so they don't get loose.

I tear kenya tree frags out by the roots, dry them on a towel and super glue them to frag plugs.

Having corals that go wild like that is like having a goose that lays golden eggs, why would you drown it with kalk paste??
IKR, I would gladly take that stuff.

Xenia and Kenya frags are $30 at my LFS. BTA’s can go for $40-$80 depending on what variety.

Heck, even GSP is $30 a frag!

Just take this stuff to your LFS and get some of that tasty in store credit.

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A birdsnest that got so big that when I decided to offer it up to my LFS for a little credit, it wouldn't fit in a 5g bucket. A Monti Cap that took over more than 1/2 of my 120DT. I saved a frag from it and keep it trimmed down. A montipora confusa that I "frag" with a hacksaw.

Texas trash (green) palythoas that covered every square inch in a 60 cube. When I tore that tank down I learned all about palytoxin.

Kenya tree branches that ended up everywhere in a 300+g system.

GHA. Need I say anything more???

cyanobacteria

Aiptasia back in the day when they were "cool"
What happened to teach you all about palytoxins? This is the main reason I got rid of my zoas

Kscope

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown Palys growing up the glass. I still have them and Im not sure how to get rid of them. These that I have are toxic and made me sick once.

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red mushrooms.

I cut them off, I filled them with kalk paste, i put 2 part epoxy over them. Every time they came back.

Surprisingly strong sting as well, they won against everything except torches in my tank. Acros, montis, trumpets, hammers, acans. All dead where the mushrooms touched them :mad:
Wait, mushrooms sting?! Or is it more of a chemical warfare? I have many kinds of shrooms and nervous about them overtaking..

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms, definitely mushrooms.

ACtC-3exHNiIfiJs7YZsxbowyRDxjmN1UD1NCVLXSroP2oDBk0fR2IyTyqXoIfi6j0Xr4O-rBEIhz7sXTj4LyyA9QeWWXDEZQX76-e4jO2eeqot4-4G2ukuKgZU7fk7VYXXJIXuc9brsYZ6HOwil2Huo22VQ=w1700-h956-no

Once you get to the point where additions are 'expected' to thrive, then selection and discretion becomes much more important!

Dennis
Do you have to do water changes more often with higher mushroom content? I was told their chemical releases are hard on the water column?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back