What's that one fish you just HAVE to have in your reef tank?

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note of interest you may or may not know but they are aquaculturing these and they actually to my surprise are raised eating pellet food . The ones I saw here in Orlando fl. were expensive but given that they are aquacultured and eating pellet seems like it might be worth the cost given the alternative of keeping a culture of pods growing .
I recently purchase two about 1/2” in length. In my 200 gal tank it’s hard to feed them. However with lots of lr they’re doing quite well. Now about 1” in only a month, with fat bellies. Beautiful fish. They hang out together. How they’re able to hover in place with all my flow is amazing.

jason24365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know...there's always at least one kind of fish that you feel you MUST have in order for your tank to feel complete. For me (as cliche as this sounds), it's a pair of clownfish. I've gotta have 'em!
i would say for me its gonna be a blue spotted jaw fish besides my leopard wrasse that never lets pests in my tank lol

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the bicolor foxface (Siganus uspi), especially in a pair (or more if they don't fight)!
1660674776081.jpeg

Close second is a pair or so of clownfish (especially black and white ones, but I also really love the common ones).
1660674881130.jpeg

...oh, and engineer gobies...

oceancowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flame hawkfish......very cool behavior, gets along with pretty much everyone (except maybe another hawkfish). Can't beat the color.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchase two about 1/2” in length. In my 200 gal tank it’s hard to feed them. However with lots of lr they’re doing quite well. Now about 1” in only a month, with fat bellies. Beautiful fish. They hang out together. How they’re able to hover in place with all my flow is amazing.
They do get big fast and lot slow of character

ShoalSister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they going for the pellets at all? Such beautiful interesting fish. I hope these cultured varieties are successful. Would love to hear from people like you who have them on their feeding habits once moved to an owner.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Wrasse of some kind. I will always have at least a couple of different ones in my tank.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is close to a must-have for me. Had one for almost 7 years and it was a great fish. Instead of ordering another one, I ended up getting a Christmas wrasse after about a year of trying. Very glad with the decision. Same type of personality but the color is different. This guy is very cool.

My actual must-have isn't my favorite fish but I love to have them... royal gramma. Such great colors! Other than that, some type of hawkfish is always in my reef. Right now I've got 3 of them... Tahiti gold, arc eye, and caribbean spotted. My 300 gives the former two just barely enough space to coexist. :0)
That's awesome! Christmas wrasses are beautiful too. The melanurus is one of the fish I saw in my uncle's reef coffee table book as a kid, and inspired me to want a saltwater tank someday. Now that I've have one, I love it so much, I think I may have a wrasse addiction, lol. Didn't even get him for pest control (no pests in my tank surprisingly enough - benefit of using dry rock and having an extremely thorough coral dipping routine, lol). Just think they're strikingly beautiful! Love the effortless, cruising swim style of wrasse. I am thinking hard about getting one more wrasse before my mel gets a lot larger - either an orangeback fairy or a yellow coris. Any experience with either?

Love royal gramma! Currently debating getting one actually, for the color. I want something pinkish/purple and yellow. Honestly though, just discovered Evansi anthias... and may go for that instead. Just one. So stunning, just like the gramma, with similar coloring. I need more upper middle water column swimmers! My clownfish are currently really my only upper swimmers. (Have a baby captive bred yellow tang arriving Saturday though, so that will help fill that space hopefully as well). My tomini tang is tank boss and all over the place. New yellow is probably going to live in acclimation box until I am fairly certain the tomini won't attack it (he chased my melanurus for days before giving up - such a jerk!)

A flame hawkfish and maybe a longnose are 2 of my planned additions. Waiting for my fire shrimp to get a little bit bigger so he doesn't become a very expensive snack.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma and clownfish pair. I'm trying to find more interesting clowns than the ocellaris, so I might try a pair of bicinctus.
bicinctus and clarkiis are gorgeous to me! if you have the money, i also love black longfins, as well as other expensive designer clowns. just don't get the hate for them, other than their pricing

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flame angel
those are so colorful.

I love and hate these types of threads. I love them because of all the diversity, and getting to see everyone's favorites........ However, I hate them because they always get me into trouble. Either a new tank shows up at the house, or a new fish, depending on my space limits, and then the wife gets angry

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bicinctus and clarkiis are gorgeous to me! if you have the money, i also love black longfins, as well as other expensive designer clowns. just don't get the hate for them, other than their pricing
I live 20 miles away from the SA hatchery and I have seen their longfins many times.... Beautiful fish, but man, I cant spend that lol

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live 20 miles away from the SA hatchery and I have seen their longfins many times.... Beautiful fish, but man, I cant spend that lol
totally understandable; it's crazy how far a little coloring and a little fin length goes

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Diamond goby, people hate that they spit sand all over the place but take for granted how much they really work all day keeping the sand pearly white.
I have one. Yes he even covers some of my lower corals which cause some problems. But I love him.

Back