What's the 1 piece of Equipment you wish you had bought first?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$100 bill counterfeiting machine

money want GIF

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def an nice RODI set up. Driving an hour each way and lugging a trunk full of 5 gallons jugs to a reef shop (their water has lowest tds) has gotten really old but it’s that or a sky high water bill.

Agree on the RO, but I think the DI is overkill unless using Triton method. A well designed RO setup with recirculation will have a good rejection rate at a 1:1 product to waste ratio which makes the cost of water almost negligible. But the initial investment of a system like this will take a while to pay for itself. That's for sure.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def an nice RODI set up.
depends solely on incoming TDS whats right for me is probably not right for you. Me? 37 tds so I have 3 ro chambers in series as a water saver after 1 prefilter chamber and 2 carbons. then I have 3 DI chambers inline. All tied in to run an hour a day automatically to keep my 10g kalk reactors water tank full with a inline gate valve to a 100g stock tank used for water changes. Set up for 100g water changes that take 10 minutes tops, and a ATO kalk set up that requires no maintenance at all less cleaning the rust out of off the pre filter and the carbon block changes

lynka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those all in one tanks, like my redsea nano cube instead of attempting to reuse our old (90’s era) 250 gal!! This has turned into a money pit—so far. Having to buy all new equipment and husband ******** about the plumbing issues.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those all in one tanks, like my redsea nano cube instead of attempting to reuse our old (90’s era) 250 gal!! This has turned into a money pit—so far. Having to buy all new equipment and husband ******** about the plumbing issues.
:(

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes it safer? Seems like putting multiple small heaters in might be the safest option.
extra failsafe for the tank and an audible alarm if your temperature goes out of whack, ones on aquarium controllers obv better as you can also be sent updates on your phone as well if it goes offline

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good cheap wifi temp probes with a loud alarm to just put in the tank? I currently have a super cheap one but no alarm or communication.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lights. Went from Zoo Med LEDs to some other long LED fixture to RedSea 50s (which weren’t bad but lower watt) to finally XR15s.

that extra 600$ on other lights coulda went elsewhere.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually struggled with this question. My "stock" answer would be APEX after 13+ years. But with my original 16G Biocube? Not so much. Even my second system the answer was an ATO. I am on my 6th different system now, and each one has a different "I should've had..." answer.

My latest answer would be a Kalk stirrer hooked to my APEX. My APEX solves for SOOOO much now and has given me insights and saved me from my stupidity multiple times.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back