What's the average percent of tank space that corals should take up in a reef tank? What is yours?

How much percent of space do you think your corals take up in your aquarium?

• Up to 10%

Votes: 101 22.0%
  • 10% to 25%

Votes: 110 23.9%
  • 26% to 50%

Votes: 111 24.1%
  • 51% to 75%

Votes: 93 20.2%
  • 76% to 90%

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • 90%+

Votes: 19 4.1%

• Total voters

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 3 separate islands in my 6 ft 215 gal tank but over time the tank slowly filled with more rock so I could fit more coral. Then the coral grew ....I try trimming to keep colonies from getting too big. I need a bigger tank.....lol!!! All kidding aside I think if I were to start from scratch I would want more space and less crowding. I'm a fan of both coral AND fish.

Attachments

• 20211115_135857.jpg
    20211115_135857.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 65

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe less than 10%. Tiny little frags in a 150gallon display look SUPER tiny and sad. They grow SOOOO slow.
While it's definitely true that some corals grow pretty slowly, the reality is that systems enter into 'growth modes' and, once achieved/maintained you would be surprised how fast they can grow.

It can be difficult to get your system into this growth mode, especially when demand for calcium and alkalinity are low, but if you balance your nutrients (elevated, stable, but reasonable), achieve average pH of 8+ as steadily as possible (preferably 8.2sh), and maintain a 'slightly elevated' level of Alkalinity/Calcium you will be well on your way once the system is stable for a few months. Oh and turning the temp up to around 82sh (grow much faster than at 78) and give them a nice photoperiod of around 10 hours with maybe a 1 hour ramp up and down (helps the pH too). It's all easier said than done though, of course!

Keep in mind that increasing photo period and increasing temperature can also cause undesirables to grow faster so it's important not to tweak these until your system is lookin' cute feelin' cuter, which if you stabilize the nutrients and treat/remove the undesirables is only a matter of time.

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose 10-25%. New upgraded tank. Have some palys covering 2 rocks and a huge rock with gsp covering it. Otherwise, it's small frags of corals across the rocks, except for a huge plate coral.. But hard to gage on a 79" tank. Looking at my pics, maybe there is more percent than I figured lol's. The frags on sand bottom right-last pic are for trading and the birds nest in 1st pic

20220722_112137.jpg
20220722_112153.jpg
20220722_112206.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Filling up' is virtually assured if things go well for a couple of years and you have a LFS nearby :winking-face:

With that in mind, over the last 14 years I've managed to keep coral coverage (in relation to the available rock work that is in the light) at around 85 - 90%:

12g FTS 14th Year_062622.jpg

Coral in relation to water volume is only around 20 - 25% due to the somewhat open nature of the aquascape.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to judge what % they take. But yeah, I like as many as I have room to install. I just glued in the last acropora frags, or so I thought. As soon as I was finished and sat back to look at things I realized I can probably fit 40 to 50 more.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please resist the urge to make a "100%" joke! :p

Some people really like a reef tank to be full to the brim with coral while others would rather focus on a few select pieces and grow them out. I personally don't think that any of these ways are wrong and really it's just a matter of taste. But what if there was a rule of thumb for how many corals one should house in their aquarium? Maybe you think there is! Maybe a percentage rule like live rock used to have? Let's talk about it!

What's the average percent of tank space that corals should take up in a reef tank?

image via @hart24601
6.jpg

Is this a percentage of Aqauarium Volume(space) question?

I say less than 10%....even in a rock filled coral packed tank.

It's like a tree...Looks big, but mostly air...Unless you are golfing :)

Even if your tank is packed wall to wall with corals, most of aquarium is water.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a percentage of Aqauarium Volume(space) question?

I say less than 10%....even in a rock filled coral packed tank.

It's like a tree...Looks big, but mostly air...Unless you are golfing :)

Even if your tank is packed wall to wall with corals, most of aquarium is water.
If you look how much area they cover - when you can get a rather high coverage - but as you highlight - are we talking about volume your right. I estimate my coverage to between 10 - 24 % in volume - but in this case I have included all the limestone created by my corals but that today not are living but a part of my tank.

Sincerely Lasse

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll preface by saying this sentence makes me cringe.

I'm not sure I understand the question in context of the possible answers. Are we talking water volume? Available rock/substrate surface? Some other measure? I don't think the 2 highest options are possible based on any reasonable measure. I said less than 10% but my tanks are fairly young but I'm just taking a stab in the dark as to what I'm answering.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nice scoly garden!
How long you have had them? How often do you feed?
have had them for a few months. got the majority at RAPNY(NJ). i actually don't target feed them (or any of the corals). i broadcast feed and let my CUC get the rest.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back