What's the best advice you received here on the Reef!!!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being away from the hobby for so long I just soaked up from reefers experience here. Too many to really note but there have been many good pieces of advice.

What is Vodka dosing, how to dose and in what amounts. This has been invaluable to me!!!

Using a UV sterilizer for algal blooms and tank management.

The value of testing, back in the ancient times we had testing that was laughable, today Hanna has me looking like a scientist by comparison.

Algae turf scrubber, years ago I attended Macna and listened to a lecture from Julian Sprung where he said this would help revolutionize the hobby, he was right and now I am a believer!!! I was inspired to make my own from hobbyists here.

I learned about dosing trace elements and using a doser here.

Patience, anyone who posts to new hobbyists preaches the value of patience. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.

There are so many lessons learned but these have set my tank right after a rough first year!!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think one of the best advices I've received was simply to "ask questions!" So don't be shy! You can't learn if you don't ask. And if you're wondering about it, chances are someone else is too.

Also, don't just try a bunch of different things without understanding what they do. Remember that your reef is a system, so approach it as such. Only do something if you know what it does and why it might be helpful.

And of course, move SLOW! Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. This is especially true when trying to fix an issue. Make as few simultaneous changes as possible. If you try multiple cures at once, you won't know what (if anything) worked, and you will likely make things worse by changing the system up too much at once.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Patience will always be a top inclusion but in regards to advice on reef to reef . . . . . . . . also, when posting pics- please post them under WHITE lighting. Its impossible to see anything with heavy blue spectrum.

Think before you make a post. If you are in a bad mood, dont come on here but go to the Bar instead.
We have to remember that there are Novices, persons exploring and considering the hobby and equipment and keep in mind - RESPECT !!
There is nothing that a given member says on here that warrants insults, animosity, mockery and sly remarks.
When a person gets on here, you dont know whats going on in their life, if they just lost their job or have a sick family member or going through hard times and then comes someone who feels compelled to insult them.
We come on here for a reason - To enjoy the benefits of a great community . 2022 was shocking with the activity of some and to best answer the question and stay on topic- Lets respect each other and act like reef hobbyists and make others feel welcomed and respected than afraid to ask a question or want to take their tank down because they were insulted or mocked.
Its uncalled for.

welcome25.gif

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time .
research everything and ask questions if you don’t understand .

done dose anything you can’t test the need for .

don’t reuse sand from a established system without rinsing 1000 times

post pictures of your system

The most important … keep it simple and enjoyable .
the journey can be very rewarding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found many answers on here and have asked many a question.
I have always found people here helpful.
Some things that have really helped that I take note on is @SunnyX Carbon dosing and clear tank methods, @jda Calcium Reactor tuning, this took out all the fear and gave me the understanding to set it up right. @Randy Holmes-Farley on Chemistry , @Dana Riddle for lighting with open my eyes to the needs and spectrums corals need.
It is people like this and many others that have turned this wannabe into a successful and ever learning and confidant reefer.

Thank you R2R and all those that help people like me.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your hands out of the tank. And as everyone has said nothing in this hobby happens fast. And the biggest bestest advice is wait for it.....You don't need all that equipment!

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say don’t be afraid to ask questions. Especially to people you see active on here with beautiful tanks and the knowledge to share their successes and failures. There has yet to be a single reefer I have reached out to that has shut me down. Ask enough stupid questions and you’ll be the smartest person in the room.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think before you make a post. If you are in a bad mood, dont come on here but go to the Bar instead.
We have to remember that there are Novices, persons exploring and considering the hobby and equipment and keep in mind - RESPECT !!
There is nothing that a given member says on here that warrants insults, animosity, mockery and sly remarks.
When a person gets on here, you dont know whats going on in their life, if they just lost their job or have a sick family member or going through hard times and then comes someone who feels compelled to insult them.
We come on here for a reason - To enjoy the benefits of a great community . 2022 was shocking with the activity of some and to best answer the question and stay on topic- Lets respect each other and act like reef hobbyists and make others feel welcomed and respected than afraid to ask a question or want to take their tank down because they were insulted or mocked.
Its uncalled for.

welcome25.gif
I have to agree 100% with this. Our sense of family and respect for others is what sets this community apart from other "social" media sites.

I would add that it is easy to get frustrated by seemingly naive questions that have been asked a thousand times. Just trying to remember that what may seem like second nature to some, is brand new to others goes a long way toward helping newer reefers on their journey. Research is great but doesn't give the reassurance and real time encouragement that we all need at times.

Ask enough stupid questions and you’ll be the smartest person in the room.

@Seek&Reef, I don't know where this quote came from, but I think it's the smartest thing I've ever heard.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K. I. S. S.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back