What's the best advice you received here on the Reef!!!

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure it’s advice but rocket’s tank stand construction directions/template were very very helpful.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the best advices I've received was simply to "ask questions!" So don't be shy! You can't learn if you don't ask. And if you're wondering about it, chances are someone else is too.

Also, don't just try a bunch of different things without understanding what they do. Remember that your reef is a system, so approach it as such. Only do something if you know what it does and why it might be helpful.

And of course, move SLOW! Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. This is especially true when trying to fix an issue. Make as few simultaneous changes as possible. If you try multiple cures at once, you won't know what (if anything) worked, and you will likely make things worse by changing the system up too much at once.
This is a great thing for me to read as
Patience will always be a top inclusion but in regards to advice on reef to reef . . . . . . . . also, when posting pics- please post them under WHITE lighting. Its impossible to see anything with heavy blue spectrum.

Think before you make a post. If you are in a bad mood, dont come on here but go to the Bar instead.
We have to remember that there are Novices, persons exploring and considering the hobby and equipment and keep in mind - RESPECT !!
There is nothing that a given member says on here that warrants insults, animosity, mockery and sly remarks.
When a person gets on here, you dont know whats going on in their life, if they just lost their job or have a sick family member or going through hard times and then comes someone who feels compelled to insult them.
We come on here for a reason - To enjoy the benefits of a great community . 2022 was shocking with the activity of some and to best answer the question and stay on topic- Lets respect each other and act like reef hobbyists and make others feel welcomed and respected than afraid to ask a question or want to take their tank down because they were insulted or mocked.
Its uncalled for.

welcome25.gif
This is one reason that I have enjoyed this community so much over the last year. There are so many people here willing to help and I have never once been met with the cries of "TRY GOOGLE YOU MORON!" that I have seen in so many other online communities. I have had hobbies come and go over the years and the thing that always kills the hobby for me is a toxic community. I'm not a very social person and when a novice question is met by a jaded force of experts, the desire to continue quickly dies.

So thank you everyone here that is so willing to help!!!

paul17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thought try to pick just one or two people to listen to and that you feel comfortable with
if you don't there might be to many answers for your concerns and you might end up being more confused
back in the early 2000 s i took a lot of advice from brothers bob and Richard stark the owners of esv supplements they gave me a solid foundation to work from hope this helps

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree 100% with this. Our sense of family and respect for others is what sets this community apart from other "social" media sites.

I would add that it is easy to get frustrated by seemingly naive questions that have been asked a thousand times. Just trying to remember that what may seem like second nature to some, is brand new to others goes a long way toward helping newer reefers on their journey. Research is great but doesn't give the reassurance and real time encouragement that we all need at times.

@Seek&Reef, I don't know where this quote came from, but I think it's the smartest thing I've ever heard.
It’s a modified Jordan Peterson quote

Crofty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice for me so far (but sooo hard to stick with): don't constantly chase the numbers.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a modified Jordan Peterson quote
Just the usual from him then. A lot of words, little substance. Maybe he thought up that little tidbit of wisdom between rehab stints and exotic diets.

Best advice I've gotten is to be intentional - don't just dose because you can, or buy this equipment because you can. So much fun of this hobby is that you actually got to learn about the ecosystem and make decisions based on what it's trying to tell you. Lots of vets on this site, they don't all agree but they do put in the work and it shows.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back