What's the best heater out there that is reliable and won't crack, explode ? (tia)

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
My last crash for a 8 yr DT was caused by heater explosion ( cracking).

In my new 160g SW volume , I intend to change heaters every year or 2. Couple of Q's:

1) How often do you replace heaters ... pls lmk your practice.

2) What's the best heater out there that is reliable and won't crack, explode ?

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see lot of good read on this

Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat (Fully-Submersible, Shatterproof Design)

Wonder if its truly Shatterproof .... Seems compact !

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 6 jager heaters, 2 in each of my tanks. The 300mwatt ones have been going for about 10 years, the 200mwatt ones for around 6 years and the other two are only a few months old. All of them are controlled by apexs. On my first freshwater tanks 25+ years ago i started using them and have never had a problem.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see. I have 2 marineland visitherms that are probably 12 years old or more, but sat on a shelf for 8 or so. And one aquatop i bought last year, along with a bayite controller. I hear the horror stories, but I guess I've been lucky
I was going to get a small eheim jagger for a qt recently. I've also thought about the brs titanium and the cobalt.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion...they will all fail at some point. For the cost of everything you have in your tank..I'd replace it every year ( I know I do).

It's not one of this things I'm proud to say mine lasted 3,4 or 5 years.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 300W finnex titanium and 1 800W. Get the ones without a thermostat, and they will last a LONG time. Control them with a Ranco external controller. I’ve had probably half a dozen cobalt neotherms fail on me. They shocked me, tripped gfci, or the thermostat becomes wildly inaccurate.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accept that mine are too old, but if the issue is quality control, then over-replacing them increases your odds of getting a bad one. I prefer a redundant controller.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Finnex titanium all the way

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat (Fully-Submersible, Shatterproof Design)

I have owned 5 of those heaters and they all eventually leak water into the casing! They are junk

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had terrible luck with heaters, so I am following so I know what to get for my big build.

Currently running an Aquatop 300w. 3 months, no issues.
Previous, Aqueon Pro 200w. 2 months, stray voltage, stuck in 'on' position.
Previous, I don't remember the brand, 10w preset heater for quarantine. 2 weeks, stray voltage.
Previous, Marineland 200w, 2 weeks, cracked.
Previous, Aqueon 150w. 8.5 months, still works fine. Couldn't keep my display stable once I moved it to my colder basement. In my 20 gallon now.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t a controller like a ranco or inkbird take some of the risk away if a heater explodes? It doesn’t allow the tank to continue to heat up corrrect

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with aqueon heaters. Have about 6 in rotation for different tanks, QT, etc. No failures yet. Half PRO half glass.

I'd go with the aqueon PRO, it's protected in a sleeve so no glass to worry about.

Last edited:

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought these since they were slim shatterproof and has a built in thermostat and bought three smaller ones in the even one got stuck on the on position it alone would not be enough to ‘boil’ the tank. I liked them so much I even bought one to heat my water for water changes. One day I was preparing water and I heard a popping sound. The heater had died released some smoke and it stunk. However I have hear that there have been issues with this brand after I bought them of course

Back