whats the best method for auto filling my ATO container from basement?

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out how to automatically refill my ATO container once a day, safely. I'll run so rodi lines from the sump to the basement which is maybe 50-70ft total, and 1 floor so maybe 10-12' of head pressure.

Apex unit and will be buying the 5 gallon bashsea ATO. I have one Kamoer FX-STP WIFI for my sulfur de-nitrator and the specs for it show it will accomplish what I want so I was going to buy another one and put it in my sump. Should be able to easily pull rodi water from basement. I hope...

The issue are the sensors.

Thinking either 1 or 2 apex MOS Magnetic Optical Sensors inside ATO container, (both placed near top where 2nd one is a fail safe in case the 1st one doesn't shut off water just in case), and set neptune to refill ATO container from basement every night at a set time. Determine how long it would actually take to refill and add maybe 5-10 minutes in case it needs more water.

So apex magnetic sensors are activated all the time. Link sensors to shut off power to Kamoer doser if they register water. And then set apex to only turn Kamoer power on once per night for roughly 30 minutes.

Or maybe instead of magnetic sensors to use the new liquid level sensor and notch out the ATO container top to make it fit. Not sure if this is possible. Same as above. Refill up to a set limit, then shut off Kamoer. Since I set Kamoer is only allowed to turn on for 30 minutes, that's the only refilling time it has all day.

Anyone else doing automatic refills on their ATO container? I wouldn't dare run the RODI directly into the sump and use it strictly as a ATO. Too many things can go wrong. So figured refilling ATO container is next best thing.

thanks!

OP
OP
stephanjupillat

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a Litermeter to refill my ATO reservoir
thanks. I did see that one come up a few times when I was picking my auto water change. Didn't think about using one for just ATO as I'd be using only 1 of the pumps. Thought I could do it cheaper and in smaller space.

I decided on the Kamoer X2SR for the auto water change but that's $500. The single Kamoer doser for only filling ATO container I chose is $350 , add the sensors, I might as well just get 2 kamoer water change units. haha dang it

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use one pump to refill my ATO container. The other three pumps are for my auto water change.

OP
OP
stephanjupillat

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just use one pump to refill my ATO container. The other three pumps are for my auto water change.
Not many places online offer it. I’ll try finding more info and reviews later. You said that you use 3 pumps for water change? Wouldn’t that only take 2? The head pressure states 25’ so I think it’ll work. 580 for 1 pump setup. 250 or so per extra pump. Right?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral qt tank in line for water coming out of the display so a third pump is used.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill my ATO container from my freshwater storage bin daily. I just have 1 float switch in the ATO container to tell Apex when it's full. I use a pmup, but don't think that will work for your 70' run. A peristaltic pump is probably your best option and if you already have the fx-stp on order then you're all set.

How did I program my outlet to turn the pmup on and off? I picked a time of day I wanted the event to happen and turned the outlet on for a duration that provided ample time to fill the ATO.

Code:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 11:30 to 12:30 Then ON
If Output VIR_FILL_ATO = ON Then ON
If FULATO OPEN Then OFF

You can see the last line of the code is the state of the sonsor, and when water gets to that point it shuts off the outlet regardless of the time of day. Disregard the virtual outlet line, that is tied into alexa allowing me to force an ATO refill event.

PS. you can also get creative and have the pump only refill during certain days of the week with a DoW statement. I used to do that, but evaporation became so much that I had to fill the ato daily.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back