Whats the best method for collecting Tons of loos floating alge

joshuashih1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have not been a very good person and have become lazy. Yes my Tank is fine as far as whether I can keep fish or not but the problem I have is that I have not cared for the alge at all. Recently I have put it upon myself to clean my tank so it looks visually apealing then attach it the right way from then on. The problem I face is that the alge is falling apart and now floating all over my tank not tiny pices but probebly about 0.5-1 cm in size. It is a TON of alge but whats the best way to remove it. My thought is if there was a pump that would pump out water and alge into a filter and pump it right back into the tank. I will be doing a water change but with the amount of alge I need to remove its best to remove it before doing a water change otherwise I'd probebly remove 90% or more of the water. Any ideas. Also I can put a video showing what I am experencing so you can help better but don't want to if not needed

PS. DONT MIND MY SPELLING I KNOW ITS BAD

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter run fo ra day would get even very small particles. An alternative would be to tiewrap a filter sock onto a powerhead. For waht it's worth I use stainless steel straws to siphon stuff off rocks and paper towels to remove algae from glass.

Steel Straws

Paper towels for algae

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a fish net and get as much as you can. A HoB filter with some floss will get the rest.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom filter run fo ra day would get even very small particles. An alternative would be to tiewrap a filter sock onto a powerhead. For waht it's worth I use stainless steel straws to siphon stuff off rocks and paper towels to remove algae from glass.

Steel Straws

Paper towels for algae

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you talked about, a pump pushing water through a filter and then back up is a great idea. If you have an extra fine filter sock and a piece of hose you got this. Siphon out through the filter socked remove your algae, You can either be pumping water back in, or dumping back in. Crap if I had a lot to do, I probably put a 30 gallon brute Right next to the tank siphon out into it, then pump your cleaned water back up into the tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back