What's the best piece of equipment you have purchased for your reef?

The BEST equipment you have bought for your reef came from this category?

• Filtration

Votes: 71 14.3%
  • Testing

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Lighting

Votes: 162 32.5%
  • Controlling

Votes: 117 23.5%
  • Water Treatment

Votes: 21 4.2%
  • Pumps

Votes: 48 9.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 29 5.8%

• Total voters

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. It’s a prefilter for an ro/di booster pump that I use to stabilize my calcium reactor effluent drip. I modified it to accept a generic nylon automotive fuel filter screen. My effluent drip rate has been at exactly 1 per second for over two weeks now.

06F3CC6B-753E-4D92-9343-35652B7D4A81.jpeg
This is my backup just in case image.jpg
This is awesome. Can you explain more or link me to a thread where you show how this is hooked up? Thanks for sharing

Backtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Versa pumps for continuous a water change. Installed 5-6 months ago and haven’t touched a bucket since. Bare bottom gets a quick siphon into a filter sock every now and then and that’s it.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was the Apex+Trident+DoS combo. I ran my tank for a year before I got it, and I'm so much happier with how stable my tank is, how much less time regularly spent testing, and how much more confidence I have that I could walk away from my tank for two weeks and everything would be fine.

They're not perfect and I definitely had a little learning curve getting it set up correctly, but I'm glad I did.

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving my Clarisea SK-5000 roller filter. I do love my Kessil A360NE's and I'm sure my Apex can & will be more of a benefit once I get past the setup/learning stage but so far the Clarisea has been a "set it & forget it" kind of item.

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai hydras red sea skimmer eshops rs 100 sump bigger return pump aquasmart safe level skimmer shutoff has been awesome nothing to worry about over flowing coming from a walmart sump with the built in skimmer that would over flow everytime i would feed fish or add any chemicals

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing that came to mind was my ReefBreeders LED light, I guess because it's my most expensive piece of equipment (cost more than the tank setup). I had to think about what my "best" piece of equipment is, though. I agree with others on the ATO, especially after spending my first 5 years of reefing manually topping off...I can't believe I did that for 5 years! When I upgraded to my 90, I may have lasted a week doing manual topoff before I ordered the Tunze ATO and also ordered an acrylic reservoir to sit beside the tank. I can go about 10 days or so without filling up the reservoir now, which suits me just fine! ;Joyful

reservoir.jpg
Hi from Nashville! Where did you get the reservoir? It's nice looking. And so happy to hear everyone mentioning Tunze ATO's. I just bought a 3155 and haven't got it running yet.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank with the 2400gph i have the seltz d 1000 gph on a 90 gallon system and was thinking i need a 1600 for more flow
my tank is 75 sump 25 gal in a 55 tank. i am lifting 9 feet from the basement using 11/4" return line. i am using the 2nd setting for return. setting 4 is as high as i can go without blowing my sand around so i have plenty of room for aging.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank with the 2400gph i have the seltz d 1000 gph on a 90 gallon system and was thinking i need a 1600 for more flow
a friend showed me that the return doesn't need to provide the majority of in tank flow that that can come from wave makers. i am thinking of rebalancing my drain to allow more flow through the 'fuge to allow more chaeto growth.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back