What's the best piece of equipment you have purchased for your reef?

The BEST equipment you have bought for your reef came from this category?

• Filtration

Votes: 71 14.3%
  • Testing

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Lighting

Votes: 162 32.5%
  • Controlling

Votes: 117 23.5%
  • Water Treatment

Votes: 21 4.2%
  • Pumps

Votes: 48 9.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 29 5.8%

• Total voters

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine Tank(s). The frustration of losing fish to disease almost drove me out of the hobby when I first started. Along with that, the Hanna Copper Checker was a game-changer for me.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from Nashville! Where did you get the reservoir? It's nice looking. And so happy to hear everyone mentioning Tunze ATO's. I just bought a 3155 and haven't got it running yet.

Hi from Chattanooga! You'll love that Tunze 3155. I've had the same ATO running for 6 years. Thanks on the reservoir. I'm pretty sure this is what I have, at least their version from 6 years ago. I measured mine and it's 8 x 20 x 20, the 14-gallon version: Advanced Acrylics

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from Chattanooga! You'll love that Tunze 3155. I've had the same ATO running for 6 years. Thanks on the reservoir. I'm pretty sure this is what I have, at least their version from 6 years ago. I measured mine and it's 8 x 20 x 20, the 14-gallon version: Advanced Acrylics
Thanks! It's been 10 years since I have been down the Ocoee and will have to do it again soon!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt the Hydros WaveEngine. It controls both of my RO octopulse 2's, and my RO Varios 4. The flow patterns are endless, and i get notices if anything goes wrong. Additionally, I got rid of 3 power bricks and 3 controllers. Just an awesome piece of equipment.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share. Whats is the one item you bought for your reef that was a game changer in one way or another? For me I have to say
20190322_174219_resized.jpg
my Hanna Alk Checker is the best thing I have bought for the reef. It has allowed me to dial in and keep alk stable. A total game changer in keeping my corals happy. A very close 2nd is my pair of AI Hydra 32HDs. Switching to quality LED lighting from 250w MH pendants really made my corals color up. I was never able to get good color in my sps with MH lighting. Even though I have been using MH for a long time.
love mine too! I wish they had checkers for all parameters! i.e. nitrate, nitrite, ammonia

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR3 120 has been a game changer for our tank. We’ve seen some good growth in the short time we’ve had it. Close second is probably Red Sea a/b+ Our corals love it and I love feeding it to the tank.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share. Whats is the one item you bought for your reef that was a game changer in one way or another? For me I have to say
20190322_174219_resized.jpg
my Hanna Alk Checker is the best thing I have bought for the reef. It has allowed me to dial in and keep alk stable. A total game changer in keeping my corals happy. A very close 2nd is my pair of AI Hydra 32HDs. Switching to quality LED lighting from 250w MH pendants really made my corals color up. I was never able to get good color in my sps with MH lighting. Even though I have been using MH for a long time.
At this time we just set up an RO system and it's a no waste system, we install one about a month before installed a regular Ro filtration that had a ratio of 1 to 3, and that was too much waste of water so we went with zero waste filtration. Made by Premiere. Couldn't be happier

Screenshot_2020-05-15-21-50-10.png

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many great answers here! Tough to narrow down to just ONE! Here’s my top 3!

-Hanna digital salinity/temp checker because it’s so effortless and accurate.

-ATO because it’s an ATO!

-RO/DI because I could not imagine driving to a store to haul water.
lol. I like your answer better than my own bc of the logic :rolleyes:

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my aquatic life t5 hybrid light fixture is my best purchase ever. putting in those ati lights have really changed things for me. even through this going to be a fish dominant system for aggressive fish the light makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time we just set up an RO system and it's a no waste system, we install one about a month before installed a regular Ro filtration that had a ratio of 1 to 3, and that was too much waste of water so we went with zero waste filtration. Made by Premiere. Couldn't be happier

Oh I need more info on this. A 0 waste RO system! I have always disliked alll the waste water.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other...
Because the GHL Profilux4e, Doser Maxi, Doser 2.1 and Mitras 7204 are ALL "the best" that I have ever purchased.
and...the Nyos 120 skimmer is "the best" I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

Guy714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This system sounds really cool. Does it really produce zero waste water?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back