What's the best way to grow out mushrooms?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys who propagate mushrooms, what's your tips for helping them grow out? Like what do you keep them on for easy removal? Is it better to have them on a tile, or would small pieces of rubble be better? Give me your tips!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping them on frag discs, tile, rubble are all good for natural propagation as it’s easier to separate after it puts out new babies . Rubble is nice as it looks more natural and once they attach to it you can glue the rubble anywhere around the tank without gluing them directly to a larger rock which also makes it easier to move them later . I personally like when the mushroom coral self attaches rather then being glued . Some people will cut the mushrooms to produce separate mushrooms and in that case, tile and frag discs make a better substrate. As far as growing them , low to moderate flow , lower par value with lots of blues for lighting and I individually feed most of my mushrooms with a well rounded mixture of foods . I keep my nitrates between 15 - 20 ppm . Keeping your other parameters as stable as possible as with any coral goes without saying .

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Keeping them on frag discs, tile, rubble are all good for natural propagation as it’s easier to separate after it puts out new babies . Rubble is nice as it looks more natural and once they attach to it you can glue the rubble anywhere around the tank without gluing them directly to a larger rock which also makes it easier to move them later . I personally like when the mushroom coral self attaches rather then being glued . Some people will cut the mushrooms to produce separate mushrooms and in that case, tile and frag discs make a better substrate. As far as growing them , low to moderate flow , lower par value with lots of blues for lighting and I individually feed most of my mushrooms with a well rounded mixture of foods . I keep my nitrates between 15 - 20 ppm . Keeping your other parameters as stable as possible as with any coral goes without saying .
this! I have been lucky enough to just leave my shrooms alone and they go wild. currently started with 1 neptune bounce shroom with a baby, and now i have 7. i bought a JB with a baby, and now i have 3, going on 4!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the mushroom really. Larger ones with a nice big foot i’d put on a larger tile and you can take a scalpel and slice a piece of the foot off and it will grow a new baby that way. The colonies in my tank have a tendency to just spit out babies and I find them randomly floating around the tank. I grab these and dab them with a paper towel and glue to a new frag plug.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys who propagate mushrooms, what's your tips for helping them grow out? Like what do you keep them on for easy removal? Is it better to have them on a tile, or would small pieces of rubble be better? Give me your tips!
toss some in your sump with chucky gravel they loveeee low light, low flow. set it and forget it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the mushroom really. Larger ones with a nice big foot i’d put on a larger tile and you can take a scalpel and slice a piece of the foot off and it will grow a new baby that way. The colonies in my tank have a tendency to just spit out babies and I find them randomly floating around the tank. I grab these and dab them with a paper towel and glue to a new frag plug.
Glue shrooms please share that trick. I haven't been able to glue them at all they just slime up and poof they are gone.

LisaD1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue, I was told by a veteran reefer, shrooms don't do well with glue.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue, I was told by a veteran reefer, shrooms don't do well with glue
By the time I pull the free floaters out of the tank they have picked up enough sand with their foot that the glue works. I have never had to stick them in a basket with rubble.

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a gorgeous JB a few months ago and after I put it in my tank it released and wasn’t doing well. It was on its last leg spitting out it’s guts. A trick I implemented was crushing live rock into rubble and putting it in a small shroom cage. I put it in low flow with half of the cage in the dark and half in the light. Didn’t touch it for 2 weeks and It gabe the JB shroom the opportunity to choose the perfect amount of light it was looking for. it attached its foot to a small piece of rubble. Since then it’s doubled in size and spit out a baby in the process. It’s looking beautiful! If your having trouble attaching a shroom use this method it’s amazing ! I’ll grow this momma out and I can’t wait to see what the baby is going to look like !

Eugene6988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow all my shrooms in a stock tank, lots of live rock, all my shrooms sit in rubble. My shrooms spread like wild fire. All I run in there is a power head and a RedSea skimmer. No filtration. And sea lettuce as filter

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back