What's the BIGGEST drawback of buying livestock from fellow hobbyists?

What's the BIGGEST drawbacks of buying livestock from other fellow hobbyists?

• Bad photos

Votes: 68 22.6%
  • Shipping Reasons

Votes: 87 28.9%
  • Over Pricing

Votes: 56 18.6%
  • Coral Pests

Votes: 166 55.1%
  • Frag Sizing

Votes: 32 10.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 34 11.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad photos, shipping difficulty, over pricing, pests etc. can all play a part in why you may or may not like to buy from other hobbyists. What is it for you? Let's talk about it!

image via @Tennyson
B1_2.PNG

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. Honestly I don't see any drawbacks really. Bad photos are probably not as bad as the enhanced images I keep seeing from vendors. Some only do local pickup but that's understandable as they aren't selling in volume so can't sustain the losses from doa shipments. A lot of people do ship and some of my frags have come from fellow R2R members and were much more affordable than vendors for the same species.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of the fish I buy or get are from other hobbyists. a few I an involved with a few local rescue leagues here in my town. if there a fish or animal that needs fostering or a place to stay I step up. I have gotten a few tangs, an angel fish, and a few freshwater fish that way, I qt everything before it goes into the dt.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, it depends how one is going to use it. for use right away I would avoid it at all cost. who knows what the rock was used for if it was dosed in bleach or acid. Also there is the issue of coral pests or other unwanted hitch hikers.

I think if the rock can be purchased at a discount, then cooked for a period of 6 months or so then I say go for it.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a poor and loaded question. Every single option is something I have had worse issues with buying online vs from fellow hobbyists.

- bad photos: online retailers oversaturate and rarely provide a frag that looks like the photo. Local hobbyists have "bad" photos only cause they are sometimes washed out in blue but are at least realistic representations of what you will get.

- shipping reasons: local I pick up so no need to ship at all. Vendors cost $50+ to ship and many DOA guarantees don't cover shipping a replacement.

- over pricing: coral vendors are more than double local pricing typically.

- coral pests: far more common from vendors IME. Start zooming in on a WWC video and notice all that aptasia. Mariculture vendors are the source of most nudis and redbugs in the hobby.

- Frag sizing: If I order from a big name coral vendor, a $100 frag of Disney is at best a pea sized nub that isn't even encrusted on the plug. You are almost never pleased with getting a larger frag than you expected.

-

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad photos, shipping difficulty, over pricing, pests etc. can all play a part in why you may or may not like to buy from other hobbyists. What is it for you? Let's talk about it!

image via @Tennyson
B1_2.PNG
I voted other, mainly because if it’s not a coral then you may not be able to watch the fish/invert grow out.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices are way better than retail when buying/trading locally. However, just like buying cars, some people prefer to buy from the "dealer", thinking the quality is always better. I give away and sell very low in my local group. It is my way of sharing the hobby, and making it more accessable to others.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. Ever since joining the local reef club, my tank has really started to fill up. The shops around me have their fare share of pests and problems too so it’s not putting me at any more risk buying from fellow hobbyists. If anything, you usually get a great deal from someone who’s just trying to get some frags out of their tank. I’ve bought sold and traded coral with local reefers and so far it’s been a great experience.

BeachBumTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @Tennyson
B1_2.PNG
Coral pest. Also anything they have in their tanks can be introduced into yours. I am always leering buying from others tanks. Macro algae can have bristle worms. Corals can have pests and eggs. Etc. Dips may kill pest off the corals, but may do nothing for the eggs.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy almost everything from fellow hobbyists.
Tank, equipment, fish, coral... there's alot of deals to be found. I dont think i really have any gripes about it. New/from the lfs this stuff would have cost me tens of thousands. Im okay with a issue or two here and there.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preface with I think buying/trading with fellow hobbyists is the best way and my preferred way.

The only thing that gives pause is shipping.

Some don't know how to properly pack and ship coral, plus the cost to the average Joe/Jane is So much higher than companies with volume pricing, sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my fish exclusively from fellow hobbyists or captive bred (but always hobbyists first if I can). The biggest pain is to convince people to part out their livestock first and than sell their systems. Everyone seems to want to sell their system as a whole and it’s frustrating. Especially when it’s better for the fish to be re-homes first rather than be moved half hazardly with the entire system.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with shipping and coral pests but pests in general. Those are what often hold me back but my recent experience with gws3 was fantastic--no pests and the best shipping of corals ever

I agree with above that seeing the tank is helpful but doesn't tell the entire story. and what you order online from vendors is often worse. Not to mention I've seen plenty of corals at the lfs in tanks that I'd never put in mine. There is some risk to any purchase whether you see it or not.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only purchased in person from in town. I have never had to rely on photos or shipping. Most stuff is trades or freebees between friends. Frags are usually BIG, because I give out massive frags myself.

Coral pest though. I don't personally stay up at night wondering about pest in my tank. I'm old school and like my LR with critters. BUT!!! the main guy I am friends with and buy from is OBSESSED with bugs and algae in his tanks. Every time I get something from him I walk away thinking I have an expended nuke in my bag. I have gone over to pick up a frag and him tell me he can't because of something he noticed in his tank that day. (like a spec of brown on the glass) I can't imagine living in that much stress over your tank. Love you man, but it is okay if you have some algae in your tank.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted pests. I'm not chancing shipping from other hobbyists, otherwise that would be my biggest concern. But pests are my biggest concern with hobbyists. I've ended up with vermatids, red planera flatworms, zoa eating nudis, etc. on frags.

Ultimately though, most hobbyists around here are pretty solid and I'd generally prefer them to an lfs. The prices are infinitely better, and many of them are running side hustles aqua culturing coral so they go through great lengths to keep their systems pest free (and are happy to show them off).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back