What's the BIGGEST drawback of buying livestock from fellow hobbyists?

What's the BIGGEST drawbacks of buying livestock from other fellow hobbyists?

• Bad photos

Votes: 68 22.6%
  • Shipping Reasons

Votes: 87 28.9%
  • Over Pricing

Votes: 56 18.6%
  • Coral Pests

Votes: 166 55.1%
  • Frag Sizing

Votes: 32 10.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 34 11.3%

• Total voters

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a biological benefit to having bristle worms, and they're not exactly ugly in my view.
Still, many people (myself included) would prefer not to have to watch their hands when sticking their hands into the tank or refugium.
That’s a good explanation, I didn’t know of any other reason to avoid them.
Since i’m a big proponent of true live rock it’s impossible not to have some..

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... not supporting your brick and mortar LFS.

The independent stores need your business, and the future of the hobby depends on them. The vast majority of us wouldn't be here had we not wondered into an independent LFS and been absolutely amazed. Most also depend on their guidance as new hobbyists. The independent LFS are the pillars that hold this hobby up and make it possible.
While that is true isn’t there some benefit to being able to spread out live stock and build a larger network for corals?

Now if the LFS was able to handle frags from hobbyists it could be a win win. If they were worried about pests they could set up a separate system just for homegrown stuff buyer beware.

All the stuff I’ve ever sold back over the years I’ve never not spent more than my “credit”.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral pest. Also anything they have in their tanks can be introduced into yours. I am always leering buying from others tanks. Macro algae can have bristle worms. Corals can have pests and eggs. Etc. Dips may kill pest off the corals, but may do nothing for the eggs.
That’s why if u do buy, buy off people w healthy looking systems that u know or have good positive feedback. Then dip, inspect, brush, pick etc if necessary and remount. Even that isn’t foolproof but good practice.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other!

Because there are so many talented reefers within driving distance and they sell beautiful coral frags and colonies that are fantastic deals with crazy low prices.

So the problem is that I never have enough spare cash or space in my system to decide which corals to spend money on when there are so many to choose from.

Cant Decide Heidi Gardner GIF by Saturday Night Live

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a poor and loaded question. Every single option is something I have had worse issues with buying online vs from fellow hobbyists.

- bad photos: online retailers oversaturate and rarely provide a frag that looks like the photo. Local hobbyists have "bad" photos only cause they are sometimes washed out in blue but are at least realistic representations of what you will get.

- shipping reasons: local I pick up so no need to ship at all. Vendors cost $50+ to ship and many DOA guarantees don't cover shipping a replacement.

- over pricing: coral vendors are more than double local pricing typically.

- coral pests: far more common from vendors IME. Start zooming in on a WWC video and notice all that aptasia. Mariculture vendors are the source of most nudis and redbugs in the hobby.

- Frag sizing: If I order from a big name coral vendor, a $100 frag of Disney is at best a pea sized nub that isn't even encrusted on the plug. You are almost never pleased with getting a larger frag than you expected.

-
Strongly agree with all of this. I essentially never buy coral from a retailer. Only from other members of my local club. The only time I have seen a coral pest in recent history was from a retailer. Prices are way better from local club members too.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other!

Because there are so many talented reefers within driving distance and they sell beautiful coral frags and colonies that are fantastic deals with crazy low prices.

So the problem is that I never have enough spare cash or space in my system to decide which corals to spend money on when there are so many to choose from.

Cant Decide Heidi Gardner GIF by Saturday Night Live
Given your location I guess I'm surprised you get out to visit local reefers so frequently...

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The independent stores need your business, and the future of the hobby depends on them. The vast majority of us wouldn't be here had we not wondered into an independent LFS and been absolutely amazed. Most also depend on their guidance as new hobbyists. The independent LFS are the pillars that hold this hobby up and make it possible.
I spend plenty (read: waaaaaay too much) on dry goods at my LFS. From what I remember that's where the profit is anyways so I've no problem buying frags from other hobbyists. Besides, buying frags off hobbyists also helps promote the hobby. Plus, let's be real, most of us take the money we get from selling corals and put it right back into food/salt/livestock anyways, so there's a good chance that money ends up in the hands of the LFS anyways.

Scp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People not knowing how to properly ship , not letting see the coral in the tank, quick flippers using other peoples pics they bought from or combined several flipped specimens from multiple tanks into one tank (pests), bad fragging /chop shop practices, misidentified specimens, poor health from the quick flippers…..I know a few that do it .

Jhav89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawbreakers sold to me as dime to quarter size with one freebie. Clearly 2 of them are tissue samples. Fortunately I only paid for one of the booger(working out a refund hopefully). I was even assured the tissue samples would be dime size. Pffft... So I guess the larger of the 3 should be the size of a small pizza in a week's time!

It has been my only negative experience buying from another hobbyist. I have always enjoyed "talking shop" and picking their brain about methods and set up. Freebie frags are always more common with a hobbyist too, so I do like that!!

Attachments

• 20220721_102831.jpg
    20220721_102831.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 32

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some last week with red on the posts, he claimed his system grows red coraline. Might be true but I dont want red coraline either. I almost switched the plugs because I have a lot in my sump but I just overbought and wanted to get in the tank in a hurry so just dipped in coralrx! Does peroxide directly on the plug kill cyano/coraline or are you speaking of dipping in peroxide and tankwater? I know it kills algae on plugs!

Who Is marco? LOL Seriously I am not a vendor or seller at least not yet!
I’d be careful about using peroxide directly on the plug, tried peroxide/ toothbrush on a Duncan plug and some of the flesh receded, didn’t die but there was die off might’ve not been diluted enough. I’m talking about using peroxide vs iodine as a dip for questionable sources apparently all the farms use it in large quantities. Been dosing one of my tanks 1ml/ 10 gals and slowly increasing to see if it has any effect on a small gha and cyano outbreak. Tanks fairly new but I’m hesitant to use chemiclean until other options are exhausted

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I started the hobby I was sold things my tank wasn’t ready for by the “reputable” lfs in my area. It’s all about the sales and if you’re not buying thousands of dollars you’re just a chum to them. Last couple of times I’ve gone to the lfs I’ve dropped several hundred dollars and still (now being a lot more informed) was trying to sell me items without asking me or informing me of care or requirements. Needless to say, MOST lfs are about profit only. There was a lfs that closed down a couple of yrs ago that really informed the buyer but unfortunately it no longer exists. Just pointing out the ugly like I said there’s a FEW out there that do care but there’s more of the ones that don’t, it’s gonna die they’ll blame it on you you’ll come back buy more business model. Yes, informing oneself is key obviously but most of new hobbyist rely on expertise of the lfs like I did, big mistake. I’ve been trying to get my hands on a stubby clown and despite my efforts to coordinate locally (not because of lack of stock from distributors but from quantity I’m purchasing) I can’t seem to get one, looks like live aquaria will get my $$. I’m not buying 3 or 4 tangs so they don’t gaf about what I’m looking for.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live within 30 minutes of the very well known “big coral” vendors in central Florida. Even with “the big names” being my LFS, I’ve severely cut (almost entirely) buying from vendors after finally starting to buy/trade with local reefers a few years ago. In the spirit of the thread, here are a few of the biggest drawbacks and downsides buying from hobbyist based on my experiences:
  1. Having to have the awkward “your place or mine” conversation when trying to link up for a trade or purchase
  2. If they come to your place, feeling anxious and sad thinking that a fellow reefer is looking at your beloved tank like it’s a tiny, diseased monument of mediocracy. (Never had this happen lol. Reefers are cool. But the feeling is there when you know a guy with a 400g system is coming to pick up a frag from my humble 30g)
  3. If going to their place, feeling like a poor when you walk in and see a way bigger tank than you own, a tank that literally looks perfect, or a tank that is full of wonderful things you’d only been able to dream of owning
  4. If meeting up at some neutral meeting place, feeling like a weird couple of junkies swapping bags of aquatic life in a Walgreens or gas station parking lot
  5. On a more serious note, it is a bummer/drawback when you see local hobbyist trying to sell or value something at insane retail prices or even higher. “I know what I got, no lowballs” type.

Last edited:

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If meeting up at some neutral meeting place, feeling like a weird couple of junkies swapping bags of aquatic life in a Walgreens or gas station parking lot
This is so accurate it hurts, especially since I do most of my buying/selling/trading in the evening in public places like mall parking lots or parks. I'm always wondering if some family is calling the cops on me for suspicious activity :grimacing-face:

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so accurate it hurts, especially since I do most of my buying/selling/trading in the evening in public places like mall parking lots or parks. I'm always wondering if some family is calling the cops on me for suspicious activity :grimacing-face:

Haha! Yep!

I always think about how funny it would be if the cops pulled up thinking they are going to make a drug bust only to see some small cooler, maybe a Tupperware container, or even a ziplock bag full of water and a couple of Zoas or a branch of SPS haha.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue whether it’s from a hobbies or vendor is the size of the coral. I don’t know if it is on a 3/4” plug,1”plug, 2”tile or…., Not all egg crate is 3/4” either.
I wish every seller put a quarter (or some other widely accepted object for reference.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You must have some amazing local fish stores!

I voted pests....full disclosure....you get something from me, you may want to dip, scrape, torch.

Arranging meeting times/distance issues that fit with both parties schedule. Most of the good hobbyists I would cater to "locally" are an hour plus away and are active on this forum, there's this guy named reefbum just over the hill from me, but he only ships. ;)

I haven't bought or traded with hobbyists for several years, the last was a great experience with a guy from Ohio with two day Priority Mail shipping. I probably wouldn't try that now.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted for pests and other. Pests like bubble algea etc becuase if you start with dead sand and dead rock... nausance algea has to come from somewhere lol

Other for me would be a mis ID on coral. So maybe buying a certain strain of zoa but it isn't actually that etc. Not a big deal if I'm buying WYSWYG, no name and reasonable price... obviously it's a bigger issue if buying a brand I guess.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back