Whats the catch - Prostar Rimless 150 Gallon?

Two Tides Aquarium Supply

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Tyler at Two Tides Aquarium Supply. My Proclear 150 was delivered yesterday and just unpacked now. Think it took 2 weeks soup to nuts. Amazing!
That's a very rewarding sight to see @Zagreus, thanks a lot for posting up.

Yes I'm glad we could get it to ya pretty quick. We are just coming out of an admittedly lengthy interim stage of low stock through the middle of this year due to the massive demand spike for the ProStars, but due to hard work forecasting by the team we are hoping that 2 weeks will be a norm moving forward. Tank is lookin stellar, and make sure to post about how the install with the Clarisea filter roller goes. I believe that'll help a lot of people on here.

By the way, for those that are curious, "soup to nuts" is basically "beginning to end"...yeah definitely had to look that one up LOL

Cheers and keep us updated man

To Your Success

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Zagreus, it’s Tyler with Two Tides. Thanks for the shoutout man we appreciate it. It’s been a lot of fun building out your system and figuring out how we can improve it. Glad we are finding some ways to make that Clarisea filter roller slot into the sump well.

Wanted to answer a few questions in this thread while I’m here to try and help some people out.

@Reefahholic - As for the tanks themselves, I personally know that they all come straight from Pro Clear when we send one to a client. The less stops that glass boxes have to make and get unloaded / reloaded again, the safer everything is. I’ve attached a few good build threads below from a few guys that have them on R2R and show both how the tanks come, and how their build has evolved over time as well as their thoughts on the build quality.

@A sea K - For the price difference between the peninsulas and standard overflows, simple answer there. We simply make and stock less of the peninsulas. Fact is that most people still prefer to place a tank up against a wall longways, and even though peninsulas are getting increasingly popular, it’s still the fact of the matter. Can’t speak for all retailers, but for us we probably see 3-5x more standard overflows. Only other difference between the standard and peninsula is a slightly different plumbing and sump configuration. All the same sump compartments and sizing though. We have diagrams for the plumbing both on R2R and our website.

Hope this helps clears up a few things. Below are a few other build threads of the ProStars. Can also post any other questions here, we visit R2R every now and then to see what’s goin on. Just tag us.

To Your Success,
- Tyler Moon
Interesting to know about the cost difference. I would have thought it had to do with the increase in quality of the glass on the additional viewing side. Other manufactures charge accordingly for their starfire glass per panel.

Two Tides Aquarium Supply

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to know about the cost difference. I would have thought it had to do with the increase in quality of the glass on the additional viewing side. Other manufactures charge accordingly for their starfire glass per panel.

@flyfisher2 It could be a mixture of both, but I believe the bulk comes from forecasting. Not really at liberty to say though, there could be a number of things we’re not considering here. I asked them when the peninsulas were introduced about a year ago and the stock difference was what I remember hearing.

BMX0321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Creating an account only to chime in here...I recently purchased a Prostar 200 V2 from Aquatic-Sealife in LA after seeing their Black Friday 2020 add that stated 10% off Proclear Aquariums, no tax (shipping to MA & saved 6.25% sales tax), free shipping and 'FREE Octo Skimmer & Return Pump' on Black Friday purchases. I too was skeptical of not only the tank itself but the purchase from an online retailer based out of state. So far so good, and for $1980 shipped and delivered <3 weeks during the Holidays, I'll def be keeping an eye out next November and perhaps upgrade one of my other tanks as well if they offer a similar deal...depending on what happens over the next 10mos.

The tank and stand both seem solid and well built, time will tell. Sticker and packaging does say Made in China. A few items so far I don't like about it, that some other build threads also allude to, are:
1. The included overflow and return plumbing both utilize metric PVC and fittings. If you plan to customize your drain and return plumbing in your sump like I did, finding metric to SI conversion fittings/unions can be a difficult task. I had a friend who has a CNC machine mill some conversion fittings for me, but there are limited conversion options on the open market IMO.
2. The internal overflow box wasn't watertight sealed from the display portion of the tank. As I leak tested the display, the overflow box filled as well. So far it hasnt been an issue as the return pump I installed (not the 'Free' return pump from Sealife Aquatics...we'll get to that) has plenty of flow and provided the weir and full siphon I was looking for.
3. The ATO reservoir is essentially useless. A 2.5gal reservoir for a ~150gal display with the dry winters we have in N.E., I'd be refilling it daily. Good news is the remaining cabinet space fits a standard 10gal or 20g-tall tank with ease as an alternative ATO reservoir. Though this aspect of the cabinet space is specific to the Prostar 200.

As for my experince with the online sale from Sealife-Aquatics, my only complaint is that I had hoped and initially read the Black Friday promotion of "Buy a Prostar Tank, Get a FREE Octo Skimmer and Return Pump" as get a FREE Reef Octopus Skimmer and Reef Octopus Return Pump (i.e. a Varios return pump). I was mildly dissapointed to have only received a Reef Octopus INT 150 and a generic chinese no name 2100gph return/pond pump (which I refused to put in my sump). A little misleading, but all-in-all I am satisfied with my purchase, considering an equivalent Red Sea Reefer or Waterbox equivalent systems would be ~$1000+ what I paid. The only other very minor gripe with Sealife-Aquatics is their Rewards Program. My purchase gained me nearly $100 in rewards points, but I can only redeem them with max $20 coupons (1 coupon per transaction) at a time...and their free shipping starts at $199.
prostar200.jpg

Last edited:

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your new acquisition.
The Reef Octopus skimmer is awesome . I purchased the elite 200 during the holidays and I’m very satisfied thus far.The pump may not be up to your expectations but you can sell it in the marketplace towards your dream pump?
The rest of us paid the price and got nothing more than the item we purchased and the points from Sea life.
Regarding the internal overflow...
Yes I had the same experience when I tested for leaks. The skimmer took on water with the tank. Luckily that water is all internal and as long as the plumbing is intact wouldn’t result in an external leak.
Let us know your future experiences with your build.
Would love to hear your impressions on skimming and definitely check your tank level and contact points with the cabinet top.
Following along.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the Pro-Clear 230 at half the price of others.
19mm glass, very sturdy but also heavy at 468lbs, pre built stand with Aluminum frame. Dual overflow with silencers.

8 months in, no issues at all with the exception that the glass is so thick, I had to add additional magnets for gyres to hold and the overflows and returns were metric.

Sump is useless, really, IMM anyways.
Same manufacture makes nice sumps.

6BFA1B5F-AF4B-4F15-85C2-C8204AD921DA.jpeg

BMX0321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your new acquisition.
The Reef Octopus skimmer is awesome . I purchased the elite 200 during the holidays and I’m very satisfied thus far.The pump may not be up to your expectations but you can sell it in the marketplace towards your dream pump?
The rest of us paid the price and got nothing more than the item we purchased and the points from Sea life.
Regarding the internal overflow...
Yes I had the same experience when I tested for leaks. The skimmer took on water with the tank. Luckily that water is all internal and as long as the plumbing is intact wouldn’t result in an external leak.
Let us know your future experiences with your build.
Would love to hear your impressions on skimming and definitely check your tank level and contact points with the cabinet top.
Following along.
Leveling was one of my top priorities. I set all eight feet to the lowest position and then adjusted as needed. For added precaution, before the tank even got to my house, I installed a jackpost in my basement with a 4x4 spanning the two floor joists and lands under the tank ~2/3 the distance from the corner wall.

Will do! Spent most of today dialing in the return pump, and incrementally drilling larger holes in caps at the end of the drain lines to create a full siphon. The internal overflow surface skimming seems to be working well so far. Once I got the return pump dialed in, there's ~1/4" drop in water level from the display into the overflow. I also just modified the filtersock compartment. I ended up adding a piece of acrlic lengthwise the full compartment and notched some teeth at the low end to eliminate spalshing over and what was creating lots of noise. Runs virtually silent now, which is what I was hoping for.

The tanks only been cycling for about a week and a half now. Still a ways off from adding fish, but will certainly update as things come up (good or bad).

Attachments

• SumpA.jpg
    SumpA.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 172
  • SumpB.jpg
    SumpB.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 154

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you Tyler at Two Tides Aquarium Supply. My Proclear 150 was delivered yesterday and just unpacked now. Think it took 2 weeks soup to nuts. Amazing!
These have been popping up with some chinese components. Havent heard anything bad about them thus far

BMX0321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19mm glass, very sturdy but also heavy at 468lbs, pre built stand with Aluminum frame. Dual overflow with silencers.

8 months in, no issues at all with the exception that the glass is so thick, I had to add additional magnets for gyres to hold and the overflows and returns were metric.

6BFA1B5F-AF4B-4F15-85C2-C8204AD921DA.jpeg

Initially, I wanted to go with the 230. But as you've pointed out, the weight of the tank persuaded me to go smaller knowing I was going to have to somehow get this into the house with little to no help. Sadly, bribing friends with free beer to help doesn't go nearly as far as it used to during these coronavirus times. :)

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well recently took the plunge with a Prostar Aquarium which can be seen in my build thread. It's nice to see others with this aquarium.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Creating an account only to chime in here...I recently purchased a Prostar 200 V2 from Aquatic-Sealife in LA after seeing their Black Friday 2020 add that stated 10% off Proclear Aquariums, no tax (shipping to MA & saved 6.25% sales tax), free shipping and 'FREE Octo Skimmer & Return Pump' on Black Friday purchases. I too was skeptical of not only the tank itself but the purchase from an online retailer based out of state. So far so good, and for $1980 shipped and delivered <3 weeks during the Holidays, I'll def be keeping an eye out next November and perhaps upgrade one of my other tanks as well if they offer a similar deal...depending on what happens over the next 10mos.

The tank and stand both seem solid and well built, time will tell. Sticker and packaging does say Made in China. A few items so far I don't like about it, that some other build threads also allude to, are:
1. The included overflow and return plumbing both utilize metric PVC and fittings. If you plan to customize your drain and return plumbing in your sump like I did, finding metric to SI conversion fittings/unions can be a difficult task. I had a friend who has a CNC machine mill some conversion fittings for me, but there are limited conversion options on the open market IMO.
2. The internal overflow box wasn't watertight sealed from the display portion of the tank. As I leak tested the display, the overflow box filled as well. So far it hasnt been an issue as the return pump I installed (not the 'Free' return pump from Sealife Aquatics...we'll get to that) has plenty of flow and provided the weir and full siphon I was looking for.
3. The ATO reservoir is essentially useless. A 2.5gal reservoir for a ~150gal display with the dry winters we have in N.E., I'd be refilling it daily. Good news is the remaining cabinet space fits a standard 10gal or 20g-tall tank with ease as an alternative ATO reservoir. Though this aspect of the cabinet space is specific to the Prostar 200.

As for my experince with the online sale from Sealife-Aquatics, my only complaint is that I had hoped and initially read the Black Friday promotion of "Buy a Prostar Tank, Get a FREE Octo Skimmer and Return Pump" as get a FREE Reef Octopus Skimmer and Reef Octopus Return Pump (i.e. a Varios return pump). I was mildly dissapointed to have only received a Reef Octopus INT 150 and a generic chinese no name 2100gph return/pond pump (which I refused to put in my sump). A little misleading, but all-in-all I am satisfied with my purchase, considering an equivalent Red Sea Reefer or Waterbox equivalent systems would be ~$1000+ what I paid. The only other very minor gripe with Sealife-Aquatics is their Rewards Program. My purchase gained me nearly $100 in rewards points, but I can only redeem them with max $20 coupons (1 coupon per transaction) at a time...and their free shipping starts at $199.
prostar200.jpg
To change the plumbing from metric to standard is very simple simply take the collars off at the point where the plumbing meets the bottom of the tank the colors slip right off change it to what you want

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back