What's the craziest thing you have found living in your overflow?

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some of you have probably been shocked to find what made it in the overflow and took up residence. Nothing really special for me...just some pods, grass shrimp and a bristle worm.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of coral and fish eating stone crabs wreaked havoc in my tank years ago. Evil beady little eyes.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had aptashia in overfow, a chromis stuck there blocked from sump by durso pipe, and my orange cardnal has take many trips to my sump.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown that I got from a club member. He bought a tank in north florida right before he moved to Orlando. The tank sat empty for 2 weeks before he bought it and set it back up. He called the guy he bought it from and asked him if he wanted his clown back. The clown was in the overflow but not in the pipe. The guy who sold it said he thought that clown died 6 months ago.

ScubaJay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RBTA's commonly find there way into my overflow, as well as a Barlett's Anthias, and currently some strange variety of green star polyp's.

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw my dotty back dart into one and freaked out... thought I was going to have to dig him out.... then he popped back out the other side... he's to fat to do that anymore though

Last edited:

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Platinum Clown that lived in my overflow for at least 2 months. I couldn't find him and when I cleaned the overflow, there he was, swimming away!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Watchman Goby that had been missing for two years!
Got him out with a net and within a week he was back there again. Turns out the Sixline Wrasse was harassing him so he chose the overflow as a home.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this ugly worm:

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0608.jpg

I was working on the plumbing in the tank, replacing the route from the bulkhead to the sump for drain. Since I was disconnecting it all, I drained the overflow to prevent spills. This thing came out when it was filled back up. I haven't seen it since, but it sure is ugly.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this ugly worm:

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0608.jpg

I was working on the plumbing in the tank, replacing the route from the bulkhead to the sump for drain. Since I was disconnecting it all, I drained the overflow to prevent spills. This thing came out when it was filled back up. I haven't seen it since, but it sure is ugly.
kill_it_with_fire-s670x394-132457.jpg

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a blue throat trigger, i thought i lost him almost a month ago till i was doing maintenance and he brushed by my hand in the overflow. He was pretty skinny but made it back to full health

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an overflow, but I did find 3 mushroom polyps in my canister filter last week.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of some kind of snail. After some time had passed and I had controlled it I happened to look in the overflow to find them alive and well and bigger than before. The overflow provided high water flow to bring them food and protection from other tank members who would eat them.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown almost same story as above. Lady sold me a tank but as we tore it down there was a clown she had lost months ago. I had a sixline that made daily trips to the sump one day he was dead in the sump :(

Sent from inside the shark tank!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back