What's the deal with pvc tank bottoms?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many custom builds that mention pvc tank bottoms. What's the deal? First, silicone won't bond to pvc and pvc is not as strong as glass. Only positive i see is that it can be hit with a hammer without a panel blowout.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC will adhere to silicone. It isn't very strong bond but it is much stronger than acrylic. Also it being on the bottom it doesn't need to do much more than seal the seam. There isn't forces trying to pull the seam apart.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can drop a rock on the bottom without worry. I would do a PVC bottom on a large build. just one less surface to worry about easily damaging.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always worried about a point on a rock pushing against my glass bottom and breaking it so I put a piece of 3/8 or 1/2" clear acrylic on my bottom before I put rock and sand on. My opinion is that it will spread out the load making it safer.

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from reefsavy on their pvc bottom tank. The Phantom Bottom™ is a hybrid, multi-layered bottom designed for strength, durability, and aesthetics. Although, when finished its focus is on simplicity, producing it is anything but simple. The core layer and heart of the Phantom Bottom™ is glass, which is used for strength, rigidity and maximum adhesions, because nothing bonds better to glass than glass. The top and internal layer is a high impact ABS liner, which is designed to protect your glass from falling objects and is structurally bonded to the glass with a unique silicone sealant which helps absorb the impact, rather than transferring it to the glass . On bare bottom tanks, it’s particularly useful as it’s lightly textured surface creates a great foundation for corals to attach and grow, and prevents your aqua-scape from being directly on your glass. The bottom, external layer is closed cell PVC, which covers the bottom and prevents the glass from coming in contact with anything else. The PVC also protects the aquarium during transportation, and when placed on the stand it helps absorb pressure points. It also contributes to the structural integrity of the aquarium, as the sealant we use provides a structural bond. Unlike traditional custom aquariums, the glass core in the Phantom Bottom™ floats inside the aquarium, as oppose to under it. This eliminates the need for the 1″ white foam needed under the aquarium and allows the use of 1/4″ black neoprene which goes virtually undetected.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup protection - I have a piece of Starboard (cutting board material) on the bottom of my glass tank just for that purpose.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is associated with both cost and a good point of whats the use iof using glass when its going to be covered with rock and sand. Also reduces dry weight.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably use a PVC or ABS sheet to protect the glass bottom if I was doing a bare bottom tank. Also if you have an open top stand it prevents being able to see your sump through the bottom of the tank. Don't really see it as necessary in a sand substrate tank.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup protection - I have a piece of Starboard (cutting board material) on the bottom of my glass tank just for that purpose.
You just cut a piece and laid it inside the tank? I don't see why people wouldn't do this as opposed to using it inplace of the bottom panel.

ZPryor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's still a glass bottom with a layer of pvc over it to provide protection against falling rocks
My pvc bottomed tanks are not pvc over glass. They are solid pvc...no glass

Attachments

• 38F6E0D3-FF9E-4B63-A0BC-6E4D9A036756.jpeg
    38F6E0D3-FF9E-4B63-A0BC-6E4D9A036756.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 205

robertifly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've used starboard on bottom of my tanks for years just for the rock pressure points and falling rocks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back