What's the deal with T5 lighting in this LED era? | Reef FAQs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go, Reefers!

It's Wednesday and another batch of Reef FAQs are out in the world. In this one, Ryan discusses why T5 lighting is still one of the supreme lighting options for our reef tanks.

So, will we see a future of LEDs that behave like T5 lights? Let's find out what that means in today's episode!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All lights are in. T5 are still good delivery of uv spectrums but bulbs have to be replaced periodically. LED has many pods of different spectrums which can be controlled.
Lights are in the hobby a matter of spectrum, preference and results. Great video !!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cos they are the best of halide and led all in one tube and are plug n play.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cos they are the best of halide and led all in one tube and are plug n play.
Ive noticed, Halides are on a big comeback. Sometimes, hard to beat " Old school". Todays halides are more efficient to run and not as HOT as the previous versions

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to an extent. I'd have halides myself if I didnt live in south Florida and i dont want to mess with chiller. I have straight T5's as I sold off the LEDs.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought into the whole LED thing and now run a mixture of T5/LED but I am going to run a full T5 tank soon. LED is going back in the box it came in.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish LEDs or their controllers had an acclimation program so that the intensity is lowered and then automatically raised over a set amount of time for corals to become used to their new environment.

Edit: and my new build is going T5 and Kessil.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit, I was a big LED fan entering the hobby. And dont get me wrong LEDs can grow coral, the ecotechs have proven that time and time again, but my biggest jump in growth was after adding T5s. Currently running t5's with hydra 26s. Nothing can beat that blanket coverage and spectral blending of t5s. I'm sure LEDs will get there one day :)

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always run Halide or T5. Gave LED a shot and SPS growth is slllloooowwwwww. The SPS color is good, just the growth rate itself is slow. I will be going either full T5 or LED/T5 very soon. The shadowing from LED bugs me too, there's literally a brown line on my coral where it shadowed itself. Yuck.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish LEDs or their controllers had an acclimation program so that the intensity is lowered and then automatically raised over a set amount of time for corals to become used to their new environment.

Edit: and my new build is going T5 and Kessil.
Red Sea do this on their ReefLed's it's all done through ReefBeat the app.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from T5 to LED and back to T5 on the current new build. I did add some led strips for shimmer only. Ask me what my most successful tank was... My first T5

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a budget combo of a Coralife CFL Actinic/Magenta and my Current PRO Led. So far its a winner. I find that the T5's fill in with more glow than straight LED. I run the CFL for the peak period daily on a seperate timer than the Current LEDs. I am going to do the same in my frag tank of combo. T5 Saturation of Light. LED focused Control.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got excited with all the T5 talk and got them a couple years ago (after having them much longer before that). Just hated them. Back to LEDs. Needed to have the fixture right over the tank or get light in your eyes sitting next to tank which I don't find attractive or a canopy which I don't like even more. Someone got a great deal on t5 fixture.

FLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit, I was a big LED fan entering the hobby. And dont get me wrong LEDs can grow coral, the ecotechs have proven that time and time again, but my biggest jump in growth was after adding T5s. Currently running t5's with hydra 26s. Nothing can beat that blanket coverage and spectral blending of t5s. I'm sure LEDs will get there one day :)

Would you mind telling me what size tank and share what you have your hydras 26s set to? Just added two reef brite duel supras. Two B+, Coral+, actinic.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind telling me what size tank and share what you have your hydras 26s set to? Just added two reef brite duel supras. Two B+, Coral+, actinic.
75 gallon. Two hydra 26's set to the AB+ brs, with 4 ati blue+ bulbs a foot off the water

Art Calde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long do you run your t5s?

Art Calde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
75 gallon. Two hydra 26's set to the AB+ brs, with 4 ati blue+ bulbs a foot off the water
That’s my setup but w Hydra 52hds. How long do you run your hydras and t5s? I’m running my hydras 11 hrs w the peak running 4hrs. The T5s run 8hrs.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my setup but w Hydra 52hds. How long do you run your hydras and t5s? I’m running my hydras 11 hrs w the peak running 4hrs. The T5s run 8hrs.
10 hours, leds ramp up and down for 1 hour. And t5s on forn8 hours

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back