What's the difference: LE, AE, Tyree?

LAMPCOV

Great, another addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has already but asked, but since I can't search on 2 letter words I'll risk asking.

I'm not totally new, but have no SPS experience. I see people referring to "editions" of SPS corals, people say that it will be released as an "LE" or "AE" or "Tyree". I was wondering what this all means. I think the only think I know is that "Tyree" is the name of a respected aquaculturist, but I'm probably wrong about that.

Any answer, or link if it's easier, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LE is used allot so take it with a grain of salt it means "LIMITED EDITION" but buy what you like and think is fair not just because it has LE in front of it Tyree is a respected Aquaculturist but as with anything some may disagree.But be warned there are those out there that use these names or LE status to hike prices so buy from a reputable dealer or private party it is easy to ask what folks think of certain dealers or people on most sites in feedback forums.

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each of these refers to a method That Steve uses to market and promote his pieces... To have Steve take one of your pieces and make it a "LE" "AE" or simply one of his "Tyree" is a status symbol and will usually be used for marketing purposes

Yep, but in short:

LE = Limited Edition
AE = Auctioned Edition
Tyree = Steve Tyree (a hobbyist/reef guru who uses the two acronyms above)

OP
OP
L

LAMPCOV

Great, another addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the quick reply....so I've got a sweet piece of Texas Trash....Maybe I'll submit it to Steve...who wouldn't want to own their very own Tyree LE Texas Trash!!

(Kidding! not meant in a disrespectful or disparaging manner.)

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jeff.

Hey didn't someone say there was coffee at this meeting. LOL

southstar66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't start SPS, way to addicting. Especially the LE/Tyree stuff is what my preference is, it doesnt have to have the Tyree name just something not common,or any thing out of the ordinary.I was reading a yahoo article about 10 things to cut out of your budget, and i didn't see coral, so i think im in the clear.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back