What's the dumbest/biggest mistake you made when you first entered the hobby?

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel like I made any major mistakes. Minor stuff like not researching my RODI good enough, spending $60 on a coral. It died a couple weeks later. Shocked my fish with a water change and killed one. Dosed a little too much calcium at one time and it caused an ich outbreak.

Ive had freshwater too. But anyways.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Well mistakes I still do and silly ones like I didn't tighten the screws enough on my MRC reactor to cause drips yesterday and flooding 1 gallon of water .Luckily it was small amount ..

Biggest mistake was to rinse newly bought sps in RODI water :eek: after some revive dip
They died in an hour ...

Regards,
Abhishek

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting with a hex.. then upgrading to 40gb but I really want to have a trigger.. so another upgrade is needed

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not realizing the drain towards the bottom of the tank was meant for a closed loop system and just made it an overflow to the sump. Realized what it really was the first time I lost power and sump just wouldn't stop filling and filling and then overflowed.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let a salesman talk me into purchasing a "Bumblebee Grouper" for my 55g FO. It was maybe 6". Soon I came across another name for it: juvenile Jewfish. This fish grows to be over 9 FEET long and 1000lbs! First suspected a problem when I came home from work and found my Powder Blue Tangs' tail protruding from it's mouth.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in 1997 I set up my first Fish only with Dead rock tank. I was about 13 years old with only information coming from a old book and LFS... I bleached my dead coral skeletons and rinsed it well (just like the LFS said) and put it back in the tank - My 2 fish died instantly. I was devastated and I literally cried myself to sleep. Don't take advice from any one person, had I used my own judgment I would never have bleached the fish I knew it was toxic but if the LFS said this is the only option then do it. To this day this was my biggest mistake

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the same thing and I didn't here the end of it for weeks till I started showing her pictures of some the nicest SPS tank here on R2R and the calmed her down a little bit

I've learn my lesson...... it's much better to just do it and ask for forgiveness later, than ask for permission to start with :)

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not QT'ing fish.
Added salt to the tank directly once. It only caused issues with a frogspawn (surprisingly) - which is still around.
Not labeling water jugs and dumped SW in a turtle tank (turtle survived but wasn't happy).
Buying water.
Not researching fish properly.
Not researching the hobby thoroughly thus learning everything the hard way.
DSB.
I could continue I imagine.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not realizing the drain towards the bottom of the tank was meant for a closed loop system and just made it an overflow to the sump. Realized what it really was the first time I lost power and sump just wouldn't stop filling and filling and then overflowed.
Iei8aNK.gif

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first reef tank in 1988 when nobody knew nothing about the hobby. I did a whole bunch of things then that I wouldn't dream of doing today, but they weren't really 'mistakes' necessarily.

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a 150 gallon tank and set it up on a used metal stand.... came downstairs and stepped in 2 inches of water all over my basement.... not a drop of water in the tank as the front and bottom glass separated from each other. Not a good start to the day at 6:30am

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back