What's the FASTEST and EASIEST growing SPS Corals in your tank?

Do you have any SPS corals that grow FAST and EASY?

• YES (tell us which ones in the thread)

Votes: 155 62.8%
  • NO

Votes: 88 35.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bicolor that loves to eat that as well….also other green corals too
Mine left all the other SPS alone. At first I thought my emerald crab was the culprit because she was always perched on the pocillopora. Then while I was watching the tank one night the little b-hole blenny literally looked my in the eye and then took a big ol nip of polyps. Spent the next 2 hours tearing that tank apart to remove him lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green digi
Polish_20210311_215005849.jpg

I got it last December
20211002_102721.jpg

You can see it top middle

Last edited:

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these questions often and maybe I’m just impatient, but how fast are we talking when we say fast growing? I have encrusting, plating, and digi Monti and have seen little to no growth on otherwise healthy looking coral. On the other hand a candy cane colony has been sprouting new heads left and right. Does growth correlate to size? E.g. larger corals grow faster than their smaller counterparts

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora - Bubble Gum and Green / Purple Caps - do not notice daily growth but week to week pictures show it.

Birdsnest - Seems every day there is another white growth tip branching off.

Acros - GARF Bonsai, ORA Pearl Berry - I can see daily growth on both of these.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these questions often and maybe I’m just impatient, but how fast are we talking when we say fast growing? I have encrusting, plating, and digi Monti and have seen little to no growth on otherwise healthy looking coral. On the other hand a candy cane colony has been sprouting new heads left and right. Does growth correlate to size? E.g. larger corals grow faster than their smaller counterparts

Growth is exponential, the larger the coral gets the growth gets that much faster. Usually when people say fast growth they are talking about noticing daily changes or week to week pictures show new heads or branches or more encrusting.

I bet that if your corals are really healthy, if you take a picture now and then check next week or first week of January you will see a visible change.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Def birdsnest, I practically throw out a colony a month and it's survived all my newbie mistakes without even showing distress.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have any SPS, but Branching coralline algae looks similar and I have found it to be quite easy to keep alive:
1639669178716.jpeg

1639669290941.jpeg

1639669386214.jpeg

Plating coralline algae also doesn’t seem too hard to maintain (I have never kept it, though), but it never seems to be available anywhere:
1639669478506.jpeg

1639669610321.jpeg
That plating coralline algae is pretty cool. I’ve never seen it available anywhere though, does anyone actually keep this in a tank?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fastest Growing and Hardiest - Just about any of my montipora and my pocillipora. I have a sort of grey green birds nest that was given to me and it is tough and fast growing.

Fastest Growing - I have had various birdsnests and some of them really grow fast. As far as being tough, most of my birds nests are not as tough as my acropora.

Acropora are kind of strange. I had one little frag that just sat in the tank for about a year and then it decided to grow. So I fragged it at various times and now I have multiple colonies of it. I have had a similar experience with other acroporas.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Slimer acro. 3" frag mounted horizontally (flat) a year ago. A month ago, after several frags made.

green slimer 21-9-23.jpg

Garf Bonsai

Bonsai 19-2-24.JPG

Montipora confusa (or maybe spongodes....I can't tell those apart sometimes. I have two different colors. This is the smaller of the two.

Spongodes 21-11-9 (1 of 1).jpg

Back