What's the Fastest Way to Clean the OUTSIDE of an Aquarium?

Troyntu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use windex and spray away from tank

now really my two year old gets up there and leaves finger prints and while she snacks she leaves all kinds of stuff on my 180g. It stays that way for weeks sometimes.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm So I’ve been listening to Jake Adams on his reef therapy podcast and he mentioned using a karcher squeegee. I could only imagine.. If I was running several coral flats or something like that id probably try one.. or just use it on my shower..

guess I should of read all the comments lol! Someone mentioned the handheld electric squeegee already..

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RO Water mixed with white vinegar. About 2:1. Spray onto microfiber, wipe well, then follow up with another drying cloth. Crystal clear every time and helps break up the salt creep from beads of water.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dry chamois. Works like a charm. Only takes a min or two. If there's a lot of streaks from salt drip might want to give those a quick wipe with a towel first to protect the chamois long term.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking for quick alternatives to aquarium glass cleaning. Cleaning the outside of my Biocube 32 with a drying cloth takes about 10 minutes to get flawless which is a little too much time. I have tried other solutions that make it about 5, but there is too much work and materials involved in the process which makes it last about the same amount of time. What is the fastest, and safe, method for cleaning the outside glass?

Pressure washer...

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cleaner plus newspaper. Surprised that nobody mentioned this, guess it’s just an Asian thing?

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone wax their tanks? I recall my father having me wax the outside of the aquarium using car wax in the late 90’s. Just tried it on my tank and it cleaned the glass to a crystal shine.
I realize this is an old thread but I just finished waxing my glass and started to wonder if anyone else still did it.

It does three things for me, it cleans the glass obviously, it keeps fingerprints down and last, as a side benefit, it lets my magnet cleaner slide super smooth instead of like the herky jerky action when I just clean with windex.

I’ve only ever used the mag float brand magnet and it has a felt backing on the outside magnet that goes against the glass. Other magnet cleaners may be different and slide smoothly already. I’ve never used them though.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used windex for years, spraying on a paper towel away from the tank to avoid getting it in the water. Then I discovered "Invisible Glass". I spray it at a downward angle so that it doesn't contaminate anything and use paper towels to wipe it off. Does a great job. Been doing it that way since 1987.
This.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use RODI water in a spray bottle and a squeegee.

Celebrate Tinted Windows GIF by Tint Wiz
Hey! This is what I do too!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a squeegee and Windex. Contrary to common belief, using Windex on your tank glass is harmless.

Back