What's the first thing you do when you see it? Panic?

What's the first thing you do when you see algae forming in your tank?

• Panic and freak out

Votes: 39 6.4%
  • Identify it as best you can

Votes: 183 30.0%
  • Test your water

Votes: 192 31.5%
  • Pull it out

Votes: 79 13.0%
  • Order more clean up crew

Votes: 57 9.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 60 9.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing you should not do is ignore it and hope it gets better!

What's the first thing you do when you see algae forming in your tank?

Do you have a plan of action?

@reef_daddy image
D2EA5EA7-9F58-465D-90D6-7C50D2009A60.jpeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see Algae, the first thing I do is try to get as much of it out as I can. I’ll pull it out by hand and do a water change using a small hose to suck out every bit that I can get. The next thing I will do is test my water. Water perimeters have a lot to do with algae.

I always have an ICP test ready as well. I will take water samples and mail it in ASAP just to be sure. The last time I had a bad algae out break it was due to some parameters I could not test for with home test kits. It has been well over a year since I’ve had any algae outbreak.

To be honest the best method for removing algae is not getting it in the first place. (DUH!!) Having a plan in place when you get it is great, but having a preventative routine is even better.

I run macroalgae in a reactor and I also check my water parameters religiously... to a fault. I don’t care if others think I am wasting my time/money by the amount I test. I want the best looking tank I can have and I want the best life I can give my inhabitants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First try and identify it, then decide if I want to try pulling it out (assuming that's possible), then decide on a course of action to resolve the situation.

I've just been through a significant Bryopsis outbreak in my tank. It's not completely resolved yet, but it been reduced by 95% since I started the Fluconazole treatment 6 day ago.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I immediately remove everything I can and test water parameters. If it is a small localized area that I cannot remove (such as in a rock crevice), I cover it temporarily in coral putty until it dies off lol.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identify it, monitor it. Then consider plans of action if it gets worse. I had a major bubble algea and aptasia problem for a year or so before I took action. Now all 100% gone. I'm lazy ...and it is a reef..even though it may look ugly it is natural.
My thoughts exactly.

Had a minor issues of 0 nutrients, dosed to get them up, had a GHA outbreak. Didn't freak out. Let it grow, then took action.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly.

Had a minor issues of 0 nutrients, dosed to get them up, had a GHA outbreak. Didn't freak out. Let it grow, then took action.
Yup. I currently have some GHA patches ...I remove with water changes and it comes back...but fish corals all happy so I don't bother with it.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Identify.

After having Dino’s and Chrysophyte I no longer get worked up about regular algae and I actually try to make sure I am growing some (A dusting on the glass) for my snails. I have a ton of cute baby trochus that I don’t want to starve. Planning on raising them and trading for some corals;)

Bubble or hair, I would manually remove as much as I could. Spot treat with peroxide as needed, and get some hard core CUC members.

The algae in the pic actually looks kind of cool to me. I would see what it does, and if it got out of control, I’d manually remove As much as possible and get a few emerald crabs.

Bubbles!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the algae and where it's growing. If I see GHA, I rip it out ASAP, no matter where it's growing. I've had too many problems with it in the past.
With other types of micro algae, I'm more lenient as long as the algae isn't growing on my rock. I run a bare bottom tank and for the most part, I just let the algae grow on the glass. When I do a water change, it's easy enough to scrape the algae off the glass and siphon it out. I figure the algae does something for nutrient export, even if just a little.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider feeding less at once, lower the lights I had on 80% for two years down to 50% (for better lps polyp extension and growth, too) and stocking grazing fish, such as a lawn mower blenny (2-4ft tank) and tangs (6ft tank+). Crabs and snails wont do much, if anything at all, to hair algea.

EDIT: Oh, and consider adding/doubling the amount of live rock. I swear, some of the tanks I'm seeing have like four rocks in them. Bacteria and microlife are vital to finding a balance in the ecosystem.

Also, reduced and consistant photoperiod of MAX 10 hours. Get some 2$ timers.

Last edited:

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mildly annoyed. Try to ID as best as possible. Check the parameters I don't test "regularly" (more weekly like N/P). See what's in the kit to fix. Then, manually remove as much as I can and hope for the best. Hence my answer of "other", since it was really "all". Lol

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identify it, monitor it. Then consider plans of action if it gets worse. I had a major bubble algea and aptasia problem for a year or so before I took action. Now all 100% gone. I'm lazy ...and it is a reef..even though it may look ugly it is natural.

how did you treat your bubble algae and aiptasia problem? I’m having a heck of a time trying to get rid of mine.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selected other.

With a Tomini, Purple, Hippo tang, and a Foxface there shouldn't be anything other than film algae in the display. For that I have an army of Astrea, trochus, nerite, and cerith snails that keep the film algae under control. So If there's any algae growing in there, I'd have to wonder if there was a problem with the algae crew.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you treat your bubble algae and aiptasia problem? I’m having a heck of a time trying to get rid of mine.
my sump has a lot, like probably 2 dozen plus aips. my display tank has had two. one I killed with a syringe and lemon juice. the second was in reach to get super glued. pretty certain my copperband ate whatever others found there way in to the DT. sadly it recently died. having a hard time justifying the price for a replacement copperband.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back