What's the first thing your Thanksgiving guests will say about your reef tank?

How do you feel about showing off your tank to "non-reefing" guests?

• I really enjoy it

Votes: 156 32.5%
  • I like it if they are interested

Votes: 242 50.4%
  • I really don't care either way

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • I don't like showing my tank to people who don't understand it

Votes: 21 4.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.1%

• Total voters

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not having guests over this year, but I usually hear:

“are those things alive?“ when they see my coral. And

”you should get a Dory” because none of my guests ever like my wrasses :rolleyes:

But my sump crab usually interests them.

8B960770-A125-40A8-A0A3-3AD79ECBCA83.jpeg

dam that's a good looking sump crab! Now I must have a sump crab of my own

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What is that cool green grass looking one?" No matter how many people look at my tank, they don't notice the expensive coral, its always the $5 rock of green star polyps.

Lol so true, but at the same time it shows you what we consider "easy" or even a "pest" is very subjective. We as hobbyist want to push ourselves and aim to keep difficult corals, but we have to admit that all corals are beautiful.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small children in the family are amazed. My wife’s family always have to stare at it for a while. My family if I say something about the tank they just shrug it off like “oh cool” so it’s been hit or miss
That’s because your family knows how much money you have tied up in it. LOL!

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having guests over always reminds me how cool the hobby is. It's easy for me to focus on the things I need to improve with my tank and get frustrated that it's never "perfect". But when people come over and you see their eyes drift towards the tank and they light up all excited and start asking questions it makes me really happy haha. And I remember why I love having a piece of the ocean in my home!
So true!
Guests look at the tank and go “Oooh and Aaaah”!
All the while I’m thinking, please don’t notice that tiny spot I missed when cleaning the glass.

Travv26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other half likes to explain/show it to guests.
If someone is interested I will go thru the basic show and tell stuff.
The tank is for me. I dont push it on anyone.
Haha first comment and I’m in the same boat, my other half is ok with the tank, would be fine if I didn’t have it either lol. But when guests come around she hypes it up when they start talking about it more than I do lol

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think your Thanksgiving guests will say first when they see your aquarium?
Why is there a Fish Tank under your Fish Tank?

2. What will you bring to their attention first that you think they are going to be interested in?
I like to tell the little details that most dont know..
.. I start by showing the feather duster and flash the lights & show how fast it reacts and then elegantly spins back out & then tell them it's actually a worm and can be sensitive to light changes and how that's it's face & it NEEDS it's beard to Catch food.
(I now stare sideyed at the guy wearing sunglasses indoors who never had a beard his whole life but now thinks he's a cool lumberjack viking even tho hes basically allergic to outdoors and never wielded a weapon that wasnt attached to a wire at Dave & Busters)

I like to then explain how yes, they are all corals but all very unique individuals that each prefer different things from temp to foods but all have to live in one tank so you do your best to satisfy all. ( I then go into social politics & our current inhumane & unjust state )

I really enjoy telling my guests how these are all living adaptive organisms and can tolerate some changes but you need to keep up certain levels and if you dont maintain all those resources at some point they will perish. (I then berate the people who have giant trucks and SUV's but have never gone off a paved road or hauled anything but groceries and their single even bigger resource wasting spoiled child)
I also love to amaze them with the contrast of how beautiful and peaceful they look but they actually have constant chemical warfare and sting each other for space. (at which time I bring up politics, foreign policy & war)

HAPPY THANKGIVING TO YOU & YOURS!

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how brilliantly my delicate acros are coloring up, growing and encrusting, it’s always about the hammers and torches. But I can’t say I blame them because it’s what first caught my eye in the hobby as well.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a stay home type of holiday for us. My family is all over the country at least we are all east of the Mississippi this year.
My wife's extended family are not the most pleasant people so we tend to stay away.

My friends insist the corals are plants just because it drives me up the wall. What grabs attention is the giant leathers and the gsp.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other half likes to explain/show it to guests.
If someone is interested I will go thru the basic show and tell stuff.
The tank is for me. I dont push it on anyone.
Well put.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a stay home type of holiday for us. My family is all over the country at least we are all east of the Mississippi this year.
My wife's extended family are not the most pleasant people so we tend to stay away.

My friends insist the corals are plants just because it drives me up the wall. What grabs attention is the giant leathers and the gsp.
"I am not impressed.. by your ..parameters"
- GSP
Sorry, ignore me : )
If anyone did lol please respond/ keep it going with new ending word.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually happens the same way. First, they look at the fish. Then they notice the shrimps. Then they go, "wait are those colorful things ALIVE?" haha

Then they complement the softies and euphilias. I get why, they're pretty cool to watch. SPS/Acros are boring for non-reefers. I sure love them though.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. All my guest know me. Been reefing for 30 years. If they were to come over they wouldn’t be impressed because They’ve seen my tank at its cleanest and best so I don’t think they’ll be impressed! Lol
2. Can point out anything they haven’t seen.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's always funny when it finally occurs to someone, after looking at the tank for an hour or so, that everything is alive! I feel like such a dork, after answering questions about the tank for an hour on end. It's never just, "yes that is a clown fish". Fortunately, most of my friends are smart, interested people even if I am long winded and they have very little interest in ocean life.

Only on a few occasions have I had a visitor not even glance at the giant reef aquarium in our home. I have to admit, it really makes me wonder what is wrong with them. Hahaha! But really.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I was a hobbyist:

I was at a party where the guy had the tank lights off. Since I love saltwater fish, I asked him to turn on the lights so I could see. I could feel the apprehension between him and his wife at this request. Apparently he wanted to show it, but she was embarrassed because it had an algae outbreak. I didn't care...or judge, I just genuinely wanted to see/enjoy the fish.

Now as a hobbyist:

I love showing the tank if people ask to see it.

In a funny role reversal, the man cave in which it resides is currently "under construction" as I set-up more tanks. So the issue is that people ask to see it, but my wife doesn't like people being in there right now because it's messy.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Oh, you have a fish tank"... then they wander away and talk about football.

Usually that is what happens. Some people get it and ask questions and find it impressive, but most people seem to find it a silly waste of money and think I'm nuts. Sucks because I have zero friends that are into this currently, plus my wife hates it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back