What's the first thing your Thanksgiving guests will say about your reef tank?

How do you feel about showing off your tank to "non-reefing" guests?

• I really enjoy it

Votes: 156 32.5%
  • I like it if they are interested

Votes: 242 50.4%
  • I really don't care either way

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • I don't like showing my tank to people who don't understand it

Votes: 21 4.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.1%

• Total voters

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that 95% of my guess are interested when they see my tank. That is why my answer was "I really enjoy it". If they don't know anything about corals then I will share my knowledge with them. They are my friends..

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Look, here’s our dory fish!!” is the first thing out of my boyfriends mouth when someone sees our tank ;Hilarious At least you don’t have to live with the Dory offender;Facepalm

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think your Thanksgiving guests will say first when they see your aquarium
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS TANK !! What’s this-200 gallons? UHHM ,TRY ALMOST 700
and then “ IS ALL THIS STUFF REAL?”

2. What will you bring to their attention first that you think they are going to be interested in?

THEY’RE GOING TO BE INTERESTED IN TOUCHING THE GLASS WHILE POINTING AT FISH AND FREAKING THEM OUT,,,, so ill kindly ask please don’t get too close to glass
“YES, I know I have a pretty crab- DONT NEED TO PUNCH MY TANK TO SHOW MEand while we’re at it, I won’t show you the other two tanks at this point
So what's the conversation around the table like?

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not having guests over this year, but I usually hear:

“are those things alive?“ when they see my coral. And

”you should get a Dory” because none of my guests ever like my wrasses :rolleyes:

But my sump crab usually interests them.

8B960770-A125-40A8-A0A3-3AD79ECBCA83.jpeg
Well.. Let's be honest here. That's a sexy crab, what's not to like!?

My biggest thing is when I try to explain the tank, biology, chemistry, and they aren't at all interested in the science..as someone with science degrees (and my wife), we love the science of it. It bothers me if they are not interested in learning a little while looking. So my favorite people to show our tank to is other reefers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Non-reefing guests ???

ignore tank.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only guests I'll have on Thanksgiving will be local police (again) Everytime we get new neighbors they see blue lights and automatically think it's a "grow room" for weed. I'll set a couple of place settings for a couple of our "city's finest" they find my tanks interesting and get a good chuckle when they respond to new neighbors.

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of off, it's a Covid19 pandemic, I am a nurse and I work Thanksgiving. Either way, no guests!
Second, and more importantly, I love to show my tank on my snapchat, I do video, I explain as I go. I love to narrate and talk to my animals, fish, inverts as if they can hear me and we're actually having a conversation. I suppose I'm kooky and a bit over the top, but when I can find joy in doing this and then my viewers, friends, family see my enjoyment, then they start asking me questions, and I just light up! I'm all over that, love to educate! I know they'll never do this hobby of ours, probably not anyways, but it doesn't matter. I have mental health issues and my aquariums (fresh and salt) My bearded dragon, and my little doggy along with my 2 kiddos bring me so much joy! This hobby is really enjoyable and I just love to talk and talk, as you can tell

FishStixx2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I show anyone and everyone that will look at my Webcam of my tank. Lol I love my tank so much. I spend so much time on it/with it. Its like my 4th kid. I show everyone. Even if they don't care. I want them to. I love my tank. And they should too.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they can dodge the gestapo long enough to get here this year it will be lots of fun questions like...

1. What if the glass breaks?
2. Can you put a shark/octopus/sea turtle in there?
3. ANOTHER aquarium?!?
4. Those lights are too bright...how do you stand it?

There would be more but by that point it will be time to eat and then chase them out the door before 10:00 PM curfew/Purge siren.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back