What's the highest PAR you've grown your chaeto at?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a light that claims to output 330 PAR from 20" away (in the air of course)- I plan to hang it closer to 10" away, so using the inverse square law I can probably expect around 1320 PAR. I know that natural sunlight at the surface of the ocean can reach around 1500 PAR, so I'm not too worried about killing the chaeto. However, I do want to know, in the case that I have to lower the light, if the chaeto will suffer. I've read people saying they have grown chaeto under sunlight supplemented by 3 metal halide bulbs, so I can't imagine that overlighting is an issue with chaeto. What is the highest PAR (Estimated or measured) that you've grown your chaeto at?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I measured the par of my cheato on one of my old refugiums, I was hovering around 300 or so. I'm guessing my current one is much higher, but honestly, I don't know that to be true. That being said, there are some threads where someone had testing their H380, and if memory serves me correctly, it was something ridiculous, like 1500-2000, 1" below the surface and 1000 a few inches down (I believe the light was situated a few inches off the water).

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the par per se, just the acclimation of the cheato. I've grown cheato under everything from spiral CFL bulbs to some pretty intense LED multichips. So long as I was mindful to acclimate the cheato slowly to the higher lights, it always grew well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back