What's the longest someone has had a fish treated with copper?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying I hate copper treatment. I use CP as I feel it is much safer and less toxic to the fish. Copper is a poison and you hope that the parasite dies before the fish, because copper will eventually kill both.

Does copper cause damage to the fish's anatomy where they don't live a full life? I know lionfish treated with copper never live past 3 years.

I'm looking into getting a nice wrasse, but there is anecdotal evidence that wrasses don't tolerate CP. There is an online vendor that treats with copper, but I don't want a fish for 2 years. I want a fish for 20 years.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes copper is a toxin and depending on the species of fish, can be lethal depending on its level and type of copper.

A great deal of LFS and vendor's keep their live stock in low levels of copper to suppress parasites, not eradicate them. If this is the case, then it should be okay.

Even though a fish has been kept in low levels of copper, one should always quarantine new fish and observe for a period of time. Treat only if signs of disease or parasites when needed going forward.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of matches my opinion of copper.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes copper is a toxin and depending on the species of fish, can be lethal depending on its level and type of copper.

A great deal of LFS and vendor's keep their live stock in low levels of copper to suppress parasites, not eradicate them. If this is the case, then it should be okay.

Even though a fish has been kept in low levels of copper, one should always quarantine new fish and observe for a period of time. Treat only if signs of disease or parasites when needed going forward.

I'm not really talking about dying in QT, but does a fish get some sort of anatomical issues from copper. It may show up years later.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really talking about dying in QT, but does a fish get some sort of anatomical issues from copper. It may show up years later.

Not that I've seen from low levels of copper. Treating parasites with therapeutic levels of copper for the right amount of time has never done any long-term damage from my experience.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you hear this?
It's a theory. I'm just asking if people have experienced it as well. Immersion in a poison can't be good.

Lionfish don't live longer than a few years after copper exposure, and I always have a lionfish.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's a theory. I'm just asking if people have experienced it as well. Immersion in a poison can't be good.

I really don't think " properly" copper treated fish have any shorter life spans than non copper treated fish.
It's a medication.
Used incorrectly it can harm the fish.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One more thing, while treating with copper in the past using the color comparison test kits it was pretty hard ( for many of us) to accurately determine the true copper strength in the qt tank, but since the discovery that the Hanna High Range tester works accurately using copper has IMO changed the issue of using copper.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think " properly" copper treated fish have any shorter life spans than non copper treated fish.
It's a medication.
Used incorrectly it can harm the fish.
My thoughts are in line with this. However, I see copper as a necessary evil. I kept fish for fewer years before I quarantined, as something would always be introduced and it was horrific -- hence me "switching teams" later.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This kind of matches my opinion of copper.

The thread starter leebca wrote that back in 07 and he even advocates using copper, or atleast gives good instruction on how to use it.
But the thing he said about copper shortening the lives of the fish treated in it was used in the first paragraph. He said the " abuse" of copper can shorten a fishes life.

One thing is certain with fish going through the wholesalers system these days, is if you don't treat fish ( with copper, CP, hypo, or TTM ) you run the risk of shortening ALL of your fishes life spans.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple fish that were treated with copper and are still going strong at the 3 year point. Off the top of my head, a Hippo Tang, Kole Tang, Magnificent Foxface, 3 yellow tailed damsels and a pair of clowns that are within a few months of 3 years old.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair went in to copper treatment when i first got them, going on 11 years ago!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair went in to copper treatment when i first got them, going on 11 years ago!
I didn't treat any fish with copper 11 years ago. That would be about 8 years before my first tank! :p

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a purple tang in my tank that was treated with copper in 2013 .... no signs of any issue yet LOL. I also use chloroquine phosphate and did lose wrasses during treatment. Anecdotal perhaps, but I don’t use it with them anymore. These days I do observation QT and only treat if symptoms present.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't copper basically an antibiotic? And if a human takes prescribed antibiotics, it cures their illness. But if you continue taking antibiots past it's usefullness, as with any medication, it can have ill effects eventually.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't copper basically an antibiotic? And if a human takes prescribed antibiotics, it cures their illness. But if you continue taking antibiots past it's usefullness, as with any medication, it can have ill effects eventually.
The voice of reason. I concur. Copper has its place in the therapeutic treatment of our fish. Just use caution and best practices when applying.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back