What's the lowest budget option for an AWC?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Auto Aqua work in sumpless ystems too or do aquarium lights mess with the optical sensors?

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to figure out the lowest budget way to setup an AWC. I have an Apex, but do not currently own a DOS (and I'm really hoping that's not the cheapest option). What do you guys recommend as THE MOST budget friendly way to do this?
what is a AWC and DOS ????????????

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to figure out the lowest budget way to setup an AWC. I have an Apex, but do not currently own a DOS (and I'm really hoping that's not the cheapest option). What do you guys recommend as THE MOST budget friendly way to do this?
what is a AWC and DOS ????????????

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the app controlled option i dont think two VERSA's sets you back too much and there is a few posts regarding using them for this reason - Its the route ill be going eventually - 2 VERSA's, $300 doesnt seem too sad when you compare what they are capable of compared to a specifically built device for AWC.

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an APEX and ATK like you.

My ATK solution is about $80 dollars.

For AWC you can simply use 2 PMUPs for $40 dollars each. Put one in your sump, and one in a tank with your fresh salt water.

You can program it to change daily or with a feed mode like i did. My feed mode drains water for 30 min and adds water until the optical sensor is triggered on my ATK.

For my specific setup I just purchased one PMUP and attached a Solenoid value at the end of my manifold that opens to drain the water.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear feedback from a long time user. Don't mean to derail but how often do you clean the sensors and have you had any mishaps with them at all? I've used the unit for a month or 2 now and really like it.
Thanks

I haven't had any issue swiththe sensors on the Auto Aqua. I just sort of wipe them off when I htink of it. Probably three times in two years. I like the Auto Aqua because it's an all in one unit so the AWC and ATO with with each other without any additional programming. When it goes into AWC mode it automatically shuts off the ATO. And it's easy to program.

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can see it in action:

Where did you get those containers and how much do they hold?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get those containers and how much do they hold?

You can check at your local Tractor Supply store (or comparable). Additionally, you may want to check out this thread for mixing station container options:

Good luck!

merfish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check at your local Tractor Supply store (or comparable). Additionally, you may want to check out this thread for mixing station container options:

Good luck!
Thank you

Reeferbob420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can u use the smart AWC if ur water reservoir is in the basement and the fish tank is on main floor. Max head pressure height is only 6.5 feet.

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Autoaqua AWC with ATO. I have had it for 1.5 years and it works great. Automatic water changes every 3 days. ATO automatically turns off during water changes. It is a fantastic little kit.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can u use the smart AWC if ur water reservoir is in the basement and the fish tank is on main floor. Max head pressure height is only 6.5 feet.
I'm no expert with this unit but have been using it the last month or so and love it. I know you can use different pumps with it which could solve head pressure but you still need a pump in your reservoir and a pump in your salt water container. These pumps both have to connect to the controller so where will the controller be situated is the problem. Its a great unit if you have reservoirs close by or a fish room behind the tank kinda thing. Longer extension cables are available I've seen too.

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex, and if I ever did this, I'd do it with 2 PMUPs, although a DOS makes sense its alot $ more, and considering I already have float sensors and such to monitor my sump levels that's the way I'd do it.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you get the smart plug you can use just about any pump to move the water. Here's a link to a BRS You Tube about it.....

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the Autoaqua AWC with ATO from amazon today and just now saw this thread, great little gadget, was worried about the lack of reviews.

This thread quashed all my worries. Thanks!

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare stenner pump for sale. If you got an apex or a plug in timer this will move a lot of water quickly. 20 min runtime will easily remove 3 gallons. Its an industrial doser, so WAYYY more durable than any off the shelf pumps.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does the Auto Aqua work in sumpless ystems too or do aquarium lights mess with the optical sensors?
Not sure on this. I would think it would work fine. @Jeff@CoralVue could confirm. I've got the AutoAqua system on my tank and loving it!

Back