Whats the most Critical Important thing you may have overlooked on your reef and how would you suggest fixing that to new reefers?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was most defientely Source Water!
Id suggest to any new reefer setting up a tank do not skimp or cut corners on greatest water quality possible! Your going to get what you put in and it all really does start right here.
Get a good RODI. Check your city water. Do your research in how and what may be best pre filters to use for your particular water.
There are plenty of vendors out there like @Buckeye Hydro that would be more than happy to look at your water source data and tell you what the best pre filters would be for your particular water.
All water is not created equal some cities treat with Chlorine. Some with Chloramine etc. They have filters for that.
Also get the 3 stage DI kit up front..
Save money on replacement resin in the long run and configure it like the pros tell you. Cation>Anion> Mix bed.

Last edited:

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS, when they stay stable perimeters are key, they don’t just mean the big three, no3 and po4 are also included.

Also patience

wanna lower po4 quick? Sure let’s add gfo/lanthanum, boom corals mad/dies

wanna dose peroxide due to velvet or algae? Sure let’s add a bunch now via doser, boom corals mad/dies

Etc

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not the MOST critical, but up there. FILTRATION. I started my 125 with a huge wet/dry monstrosity that came with the tank (craigslist). High NO3/PO4. Noisy. Maintenance was a nightmare. I battled it for a few months before installing a proper sump. The difference was amazing, but replumbing a running tank was a pain and very nerve wracking.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not the MOST critical, but up there. FILTRATION. I started my 125 with a huge wet/dry monstrosity that came with the tank (craigslist). High NO3/PO4. Noisy. Maintenance was a nightmare. I battled it for a few months before installing a proper sump. The difference was amazing, but replumbing a running tank was a pain and very nerve wracking.
Yes good point ive been reconfiguring my sumps to run more efficiently over the last year as well.
Second best thing I could have done is make an algae turf scrubber that all ties back into Source water quality as well as great nutrient export!
20210313_120134_1.gif

I've been battling the nasties for a solid year honestly. It started at my rodi unit. Whatever has been getting thru has actually stained my discs that not even a 12%H202 soak and toothbrush can remove.
Since getting a proper handle on my rodi unit as well as putting this diy algae turf scrubber in the nasties are seriously starting to subside:)

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say screen tops for tanks.

I cannot count how many fish were lost in the past to carpet surfing.

This can be done cheap to super custom and expensive.

Even diy with a screen frame kit for a big box hardware store and cheap clear mesh from Amazon is better than nothing.

Also, if you have large tangs that like to drag bubbles underwater and splash you with their tail whe it’s feeding time, the screen stops most of the splashing. Helps keep outside glass clean lol.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this:

100% of people plan for/expect to not have to take their reef apart.

but about 70% have to, unexpectedly for various reasons.

and then folks get stuck on procedure, things can die.

build your tank expecting to be part of the majority of disassemblers, even though it doesn't seem that way now.

for example

knowing I'd have to disassemble soon, for one or more reasons, I'd stack corals onto rock bommies that could be lifted out with the growth in tact, I wouldn't make a three hundred pound Saxby reef wall.

folks who start reefs with bare white rocks often have to disassemble to get out of an invasion.

oh they don't want to

but they will :)
eventually. they will make their way to our threads eventually

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this:

100% of people plan for/expect to not have to take their reef apart.

but about 70% have to, unexpectedly for various reasons.

and then folks get stuck on procedure, things can die.

build your tank expecting to be part of the majority of disassemblers, even though it doesn't seem that way now.

for example

knowing I'd have to disassemble soon, for one or more reasons, I'd stack corals onto rock bommies that could be lifted out with the growth in tact, I wouldn't make a three hundred pound Saxby reef wall.

folks who start reefs with bare white rocks often have to disassemble to get out of an invasion.

oh they don't want to

but they will :)
eventually. they will make their way to our threads eventually
Great point man something I totally overlooked. Yes ease of disassemble should totally be factored in to assemble. Even with 100lbs Walt smith and 200lbs Gulf live rock in my sumps allowing my rodi to get wonky totally threw things out of whack.
I have taken mine apart a cpl times now and deep cleaned all rock. Removed almost all sand using your rinse method.
Something I never planned on but 100% necessary getting thing back to normal!
That and hard work most defientely plan on it if you dont take these things into consideration:)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shooting your foot off right out of the gate:

1- an under-rated under-preforming skimmer

2 - cheap lights and/or lights not dialed-in to the exact needs of the corals

3 - overstocking your tank with waaaaay too many fish

4 - over feeding fish. Us humans think fish need massive amounts of food on the scale of what we eat as humans. Extra food portions DOES NOT equal fat happy fish. It equals poisoning your tank. Small amts of food fed consistently equals fat happy fish. One needs to approach feedings as "treats size" rather than "meal size"

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And oh!

Never buy a coral SMALLER than the head of a frag plug

1 - the frag is probably too delicate to make the acclimation (even if it appears healed over)

2 - the seller is probably gouging the price by fragging up a colony into massive profit frags

I've lost thousands of dollars to buying small frags

Just walk away from the sale

Sad Season 4 GIF by The Office

Raymech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a tank upgrade , everything went smoothly , no losses. I started growing coralline again and my sps were doing well for the first couple of months. Then i decided to add more live rock to fill the extra space after the upgrade, I chose to go with dead rock which i have always avoided in the past as i like the biodiversity in wet rock.

Man what a mistake that was , soon after my alk started rising, the corals stopped their normal uptake, the tank went through an ugly stage with diatoms even though the existing rocks etc were 2 years old established. I'm sure that dry rock must leach silicates , phosphate and other contaminants.
This was a total tank crash , all sps and most lps receded and died over a month or so. Hair algae was next as it grew on all the dead tissue. I'm still struggling months later to get things back in balance.

I would advise any reefer to be very wary of adding too much dry rock all at once to an established tank , i would cure it for a few months in a tub of heated saltwater or use established wet live rock from a tank shutdown or ocean live rock.

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was most defientely Source Water!
Id suggest to any new reefer setting up a tank do not skimp or cut corners on greatest water quality possible! Your going to get what you put in and it all really does start right here.
Get a good RODI. Check your city water. Do your research in how and what may be best pre filters to use for your particular water.
There are plenty of vendors out there like @Buckeye Hydro that would be more than happy to look at your water source data and tell you what the best pre filters would be for your particular water.
All water is not created equal some cities treat with Chlorine. Some with Chloramine etc. They have filters for that.
Also get the 3 stage DI kit up front..
Save money on replacement resin in the long run and configure it like the pros tell you. Cation>Anion> Mix bed.
100% agree with the above - its all about the water...

When I set up my tank, builder said I could (should) just fill with tap water treated to remove the chlorine...

Did I lose any fish or corals? No, so I guess "technically" it worked.

Did I trigger the most spectacular bloom of just about every type of nasty bacteria and algae ? You bet....

Oh - and WASH YOUR SAND ! Ditto the above lesson learned the (extremely) hard way...

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting to get my rock today to start. Every site says to glue or epoxy the rocks together in my case 90 pounds.
So I am reading expect to have to remove rock down the road. No offense but if I follow the guideline given by using glue or epoxy how the heck would I ever do that. Am I missing something? Please advise because it is happening Today.
Thanks Wally

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan for the growth of things. Fish are obvious. But that super cool cheap paly... It will spread and sting, and there will be no way to remove it. The bottom half of the rock work is their territory now, only the galaxia can keep them off.

Bandito Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I did find a good source of water and it may not seem important to some but having a good clean RODI water in a pinch can save you a lot of troubles and headache in my opinion.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And oh!

Never buy a coral SMALLER than the head of a frag plug

1 - the frag is probably too delicate to make the acclimation (even if it appears healed over)

2 - the seller is probably gouging the price by fragging up a colony into massive profit frags

I've lost thousands of dollars to buying small frags

Just walk away from the sale
could not agree more.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a well designed plan which means having all your required equipment before water hits the tank.

Set your desired parameter levels and the range you want.
Then strive to keep them in range.

Try and have at least 50% of your system live rock.

When it comes to po4 & no3 remember that these tested numbers are what is left over from your nutrient export system.

I know many will not agree with this but I believe keeping the big 3 including SG at NSW levels is best.
You will run into less issues, imo.

Also average ocean alkalinity is 6.5-7, we use 7.
It is not 8-9 like many of the experts that sell corals say.

Back