What's the most HILLBILLY thing you've rigged up on your tank?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not really rigged to my tank, but "for" my tanks.... not sure how

But I turned this:

Into this...

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_6362.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought for sure I had a million-dollar idea I was hoping all local reef stores would buy this, it's a coral carousel and it slowly spins your Coral so you can display then like at the store and choose the ones you want to buy. It's good for R&D research I think.
I need to go on shark tank.

Forgot to mention co. Name : Ghetto Reef Technologies

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO was born in the country.

I have no pictures because it is in my security compound but I’ll do my best to paint a purrdy word picture.

The reservoir is a repurposed oil spill sorbent boom screw top bucket that sits on an older tank cabinet next to the chiller. I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the bucket near the bottom and added a 1/4” John Guest water supply fitting that gravity feeds into a mechanical float switch that Sits at the waterlines in my rubber maid sump. The float switch is mounted through the sump wall in a similar fashion as the water supply hose fitting. The reservoir bucket is white, the sump black, the float switch is white and of course the top off water supply is blue, like the blood running through my hillbilly veins.
YeeHaa!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO was born in the country.

I have no pictures because it is in my security compound but I’ll do my best to paint a purrdy word picture.

The reservoir is a repurposed oil spill sorbent boom screw top bucket that sits on an older tank cabinet next to the chiller. I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the bucket near the bottom and added a 1/4” John Guest water supply fitting that gravity feeds into a mechanical float switch that Sits at the waterlines in my rubber maid sump. The float switch is mounted through the sump wall in a similar fashion as the water supply hose fitting. The reservoir bucket is white, the sump black, the float switch is white and of course the top off water supply is blue, like the blood running through my hillbilly veins.
YeeHaa!
"You must be a redneck," if you have a KrisReef ATO system. Heeee

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the more politicly correct term of hillbilly (DIY). I was going to make a water surge system out of toilet parts but I ended up not having enough room.
I had the idea of setting up a wet dry vac , in the Attic, pipe the flexible hose to a around cylinder(top of cyl.) 2' tallx8" dia., above reef tank, brim of the cylinder would be just under brim of the water level line(4"), wet dry vacuum hose would be connected to top of cylinder. turn off/on as cylinder fills. Turn off and then surge would happened. Hillbilly as it gets.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is, that system is probably healthier than 50% of the systems running an apex lol.
Now if that was my system. I would have made room for me and my pretty lady, make sure all the Jets work, it's just like a saltwater pool or spa.

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that means there's probably Teflon in the water. They're coated with Teflon. Most humans if tested for Teflon has in body. Bummer
I watched some documentary about that! Crazy stuff. Thanks for nothing DuPont

Tony R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a file fish that was so thin I worried about him getting sucked into the AIO overflow, so I cut the handles off two fly swatters and binder clipped the plastic webbing over the overflow. Naturally I was worried about the binder clip handles rusting so I popped em off. Worked for about a week before my actual fish guards came in the mail Haha.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back