What's the most HILLBILLY thing you've rigged up on your tank?

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a freshwater guy, so maybe this doesn't count.
I decided co2 would help growing plants, too cheap to buy a co2 tank and regulator setup, so made a co2 setup out of 2 liter soda bottles, yeast and sugar water. They really did make pressure once the yeast got going and on a 55 gallon tank it took a 3 bottle rig to make a difference. Had to reset them weekly with new yeast and sugar water. One week i had a brain melt and doubled the batch in one bottle. Once it got going it made a little too much pressure and blew up spewing stinky, sticky yeast water all over the living room. Wife version 1.0 was not happy...lol

I’ve been there with yeast. Only mine ended up reversing /syphoning tank water down three floors of apartments. Needless to say my neighbors below me were not happy.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a chap I saw years ago over here that heated his tank with horse manure in the winter. He had a pipe from his sump that circulated water through a pipe that was buried in the middle of a big pile of poo. Apparently it can get very hot.

Seen others bury pipe in their garden and circulate the water through it to act as a chiller in summer.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20190623-121400_Instagram.jpg
air conditioner in the sump to cool water ️️

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hilly Billy fix to my old leaking tank was to put a pipe clamp on it.

Pipe Clamp on Old 90.jpg

Not long after this end busted a seam, the other end of the tank started to leak as well and I then had two pipe clamps on it. The only thing I can say is that it worked until I had a new tank made. Here you can see near and far side pipe clamps....looked industrial. :cool:

Two Clamps.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pipe Clamp on Old 90.jpg

Not long after this end busted a seam, the other end of the tank started to leak as well and I then had two pipe clamps on it. The only thing I can say is that it worked until I had a new tank made. Here you can see near and far side pipe clamps....looked industrial. :cool:

Two Clamps.jpg

I love it! You can’t knock it if it works!
I do have to ask though, is that your bed next to the tank, or were you making someone else sleep next to it? Either way that’s a very brave place to sleep.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! You can’t knock it if it works!
I do have to ask though, is that your bed next to the tank, or were you making someone else sleep next to it? Either way that’s a very brave place to sleep.

Not a bed. My daughter was visiting from Virginia and brought her dog. That's the dog's cage covered with a moving blanket....he likes it dark.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pipe Clamp on Old 90.jpg

Two Clamps.jpg
I think pipe clamps, take the cake. WE HAVE A WINNER! !!! You win a bicycle generator, for those power emergencies.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pipe Clamp on Old 90.jpg

Two Clamps.jpg

I've seen hillbilly, but man, this requires a new word in our dictionary. Maybe, " I did a redblue." Hard to come up with new word.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought for sure I had a million-dollar idea I was hoping all local reef stores would buy this, it's a coral carousel and it slowly spins your Coral so you can display then like at the store and choose the ones you want to buy. It's good for R&D research I think.
I need to go on shark tank.

Forgot to mention co. Name : Ghetto Reef Technologies

This goes way beyond what I would even think about doing. Amazing way to keep softies and NPS corals. Does the spinning motion help them to eat more efficiently?

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pipe Clamp on Old 90.jpg

Two Clamps.jpg

And the heater rack below your shelf of cornflakes [emoji23]

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the most HILLBILLY thing you've rigged up on your tank?

Stories?

Pics?

On a 125g freshwater tank but since you asked... spent last Saturday building this crappy looking upflow algae scrubber out of knitting mesh, zip ties, par38 led grow light, and cutting the bottoms off two totes from the garage. Stoke a 12” air stone out of the daughters planted tank that’s not really needed and used a t-fitting so I could hook up two 100g size air pumps to the single stone for more flow. (Tried this with a basic air stone and didn’t work well so stole the other one cause it’s a higher end stone made for better diffusion. So far already growing so it works great! Just looks horrible lol. Was going to build one out of lexan and pvc for the waterfall rain version but realized I was out of weldon and can’t buy it locally anywhere and mind was already sent down this path so had to compromise short term.

image.jpg image.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back