What's the most HILLBILLY thing you've rigged up on your tank?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also surge buckets, 1980's all the rage.
If you didn't have one, you weren't hip. Heeee

I think In the correct application a surge bucket is still a good concept. The main issue is microbubbles and salt creep but for simplicity it can’t be beat in larger tanks. In smaller tanks they usually ended up being more of a pain than they were worth and powerheads are so much easier especially the variable ones we have now.

I would love to set up an indoor tidal pool with a huge surge device at one end that cascaded water over the rockwork into the pool

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think In the correct application a surge bucket is still a good concept. The main issue is microbubbles and salt creep but for simplicity it can’t be beat in larger tanks. In smaller tanks they usually ended up being more of a pain than they were worth and powerheads are so much easier especially the variable ones we have now.

I would love to set up an indoor tidal pool with a huge surge device at one end that cascaded water over the rockwork into the pool
About 60 miles away, a free public aquarium site, at a site called Cabrillo beach. They have a surge device, it's a large acrylic cylinder standing upright , below the water level. It creates a vacuum to draw water into it and then breaks vacuum and water creates surge. Different idea on surge waves.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A refugium/magrove swamp..
It actually worked well...
It had so much life in it...

1565192425339.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
State of the art aquarium stand ( Not mine thank goodness) You get to rock the tank all you want !! Comes with Power supply in the ideal place to get wet !!

1565193269962.png

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok posted this setup the other day when thread started.. diy algae scrubber on side of tank upflow style using two 100gph air pumps with t to single high diffusion air stone.. Attached pic so people can see it again for reference..

Ok today I pulled the light and examined the screen after only 5 days operation.. the growth is amazing for first 5 days as you can see..

However you can also see my issue.. I’m using a cheap $5 par 38 grow bulb full spectrum 150w inside an 8” round diffuser like you’d normally use for a reptile basking light that I had laying around..

Question is.. I have 2” or so between glass and front of the light. Anyone know how I can make a diffuser to spread the light better so it’s bit so concentrated in the corners before I replace the light with a squat one?

D1CB9236-0889-4201-9A88-8A9A9981B1E9.jpeg BB2D3998-1FB5-4F8A-8EEE-198D777DC58E.jpeg

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my saltwater in 5 gallon buckets using a cordless drill with a paint mixer attachment, I hope that counts as hillbilly enough.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough call...

Either this airstone powered skimmer:
IMG_20190302_124934539.jpg

Or this siphoning ATO into the makeshift sump:
IMG_20190823_185812124.jpg

Or maybe it's the homemade PVC overflow (you can just catch a glimpse in the upper right corner):
IMG_20190824_200520188.jpg

U

User1

View Badges

Micro bubbles, depending on your belief anyway, can be a good thing. Sort of think of it like what would happen when a wave crashes against a rock.

I have my tank set up such that the returns using the random flow nozzles actually shoot in a blast of air bubbles throughout the day. Reminds me a lot of when I scuba dive. It isn't constant but sort of reminds me of what I have seen while diving.

I think the bigger issue, or concern as it relates to surge / wave boxes, is the pressure it can create on the tank. Unless it is over built or designed to withstand the surge or pressure I wouldn't do it. But when done correctly I think it has its place. But has to be designed in from the start.

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna have to go with protein powder jug for ATO reservoir and custom high end shelf. I thought I cleaned it to sterile, but still smell a hint of chocolate lol
20190827_145024.jpg

Back