Whats the most reliable doser right now?

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a doser, I have had a Vertex Libra doser over 5 years and haven't had to change the heads or tubing. Finally going to retire it more than likely. FYI, I also bought it used as well. So that pump has been super reliable.
Unfortunately I believe these are long discontinued. I believe these used very high quality parts.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I believe these are long discontinued. I believe these used very high quality parts.

I can definitely believe that from not experiencing a single issue with it since I have had it, not 1.

Wonder if i can take out the stepper pumps and put in my DOS? ;)

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im actually waiting for a dos to come in the mail... i just googled dos failures and im not seeing all that much recent posts about problems...

TaylorJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using two DOS for a couple years with no problems. Been looking for links to these disasters, cant find any. Can someone post some of these disaster events?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using two DOS for a couple years with no problems. Been looking for links to these disasters, cant find any. Can someone post some of these disaster events?
Strange. I simply Google dos problems and the interwebz is full with threads.
Range from dose dump more than it should, to dose mess AWC to dos head need replacement....
Strange

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. I simply Google dos problems and the interwebz is full with threads.
Range from dose dump more than it should, to dose mess AWC to dos head need replacement....
Strange
I Google dos problems and come up with a ton of threads on the Microsoft Operating System. I thought we were talking about aquariums here.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually waiting for a dos to come in the mail... i just googled dos failures and im not seeing all that much recent posts about problems...

I have seen a lot of bad things about them. They dump frequently.

Look up the neptune WAV pumps too. They pretty much fail at 2 years on the dot. Seen this happen a lot online and to a few personal friends, like clockwork.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two DOS to dose Aquaforest 3 part and have used the 4th head to dose both LC and NoPoX when needed. Mine have been running for about 18 months now with no issues. I must say I like the very fine level of control for the dosing amount they provide. I gradually dose my 3 part throughout the day, kH overnight, Ca in the afternoon etc to match the consumption.

My DOS are mounted in the stand of my RSR 250 so will be exposed to humidity 24x7. So far so good but it’s only been 18 months. Hopefully they hold up longer. For now I’m very happy with them.

My only comment on them is to ensure you briefly soak the dosing lines in hot water (from the kettle) before fitting them to allow you to get a good tight fit easily. I had issues with air leakage before doing this. But I’m sure this is true for all dosers.

Here is where mine are if that is of use to anyone.

e0b5ffbc13ef79357b33d1d965313c05.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the DOS.

Been using mine to dose ALK and CAL for 2 years without issue. I previously had the KoreFifth, worst point of sale out there. From buggy software, to firmware updates that bricks the system leaving you to return it to poland. Nope, Been there done that, not doing it again.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a lot of bad things about them. They dump frequently.

Look up the neptune WAV pumps too. They pretty much fail at 2 years on the dot. Seen this happen a lot online and to a few personal friends, like clockwork.
Yeah it would be nice to have a ranking of reliable products across the board.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it would be nice to have a ranking of reliable products across the board.

Personally I've had such a bad track record with EcoTech pumps I tell everybody to avoid them like the plague. 5 wetsides all cracked, including the replacements.

I've read the MP60's are MUCH more reliable due to their thicker housing, but the mp10/40... Man those things scare me for sure

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I've had such a bad track record with EcoTech pumps I tell everybody to avoid them like the plague. 5 wetsides all cracked, including the replacements.

I've read the MP60's are MUCH more reliable due to their thicker housing, but the mp10/40... Man those things scare me for sure
My 6 mp40 been running for 4 years now. Flawless. 2 of them I needed to change the westside which is like 50$.
Before that I ran mp10s equally robust.
The modularity of the vortech is awesome you Can fix problems by changing the whole thing like the westside as an example for relatively cheap.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your friend is not wanting to risk a dumping event, ever... then why not look at CaRx. I know that they are a different paradigm, but one of the reasons that people like/move to them is that they are reliable and safe, don't dump and cannot crash a tank.

As you have mentioned many times, there are risks with any doser unless you add stuff manually. It is smart of you to look past the short-term reviews and fanboy stuff...well done. If doser is all that is considered, the just pick, have a backup plan and watch like a hawk.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back