Whats the most reliable doser right now?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been looking into dosers for a friend, and I'm seeing a surprising amount of mixed reviews.

- I see tons of threads praising the eKoral, then met someone who had theirs dump the other day.

- Kamoer are lab/medical grade, but their stuff for aquariums has been less than stellar.

- Kore 5th is okay, but I see lots of people complain about dumping and failure.

- Neptune DOS is a timebomb, it WILL dump for sure on you. I don't trust neptune with that stuff.

- New Bubble Magus dosers have their timers die in about a year (check reviews everywhere, seems 1/3 reviews are about the doser turning into a paperweight).

So whats the deal here? What would you guys suggest? None of them seem to stand out in a very positive manner.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m about to list a Bubble Magus T01 for sale shortly for $125. Been working flawlessly for a little over a year. See if he’s interested!

Capital J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been looking into dosers for a friend, and I'm seeing a surprising amount of mixed reviews.

- New Bubble Magus dosers have their timers die in about a year (check reviews everywhere, seems 1/3 reviews are about the doser turning into a paperweight).

Really? Maybe I'm lucky, or the newer models aren't as good, but mine has been going 10 years strong.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have an Apex get some BRS 1.1ml dosers. Been using mine for about 4-5 years with 0 issues. Still on the same dosing tubes also.
I used BRS dosers for some time. They are good actually. Only problem is if the tubing start wearing out and you do not change it, it will not dose 1.1ml a min. So you need to keep an eye in the tubes.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL all the way. And you have different types, so it not one doser type fits all needs.

You have the Maxi which is like the Apex DOS.

Then you have the standard GHL 2.1 dosers.

I am using both in multiple types of setup, stand-alone and connected to P4 controllers. Very happy with them.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it’s all hit or miss on the dos scene.

Between use, chemicals, calibration, location of pumps and containers, tubing used, tubing location and programming.

Everyone has a different setup and opinion.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using DOS without any complaint. Why would it dump high amount if only dose small amt each time?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using DOS without any complaint. Why would it dump high amount if only dose small amt each time?

I had the control board on one of my dos’s get corroded due to humidity and it dumped my whole container of Kh2Po4. Luckily it just spiked phosphates and I was able to crank the fuge for a day and bring them back down. I now know to not keep the dos anywhere where there is moisture in the air

Len

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a GHL doser 2.0 in my cabinet for 3 years without cleaning and it’s never skipped a beat so I’d say that gets my vote. Humidity and some small splashing on it hasn’t phased it yet.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dos is the most unreliable doer there is..this is my vote.
Forums are fill with horror stories about dos.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it’s all hit or miss on the dos scene.

Between use, chemicals, calibration, location of pumps and containers, tubing used, tubing location and programming.

Everyone has a different setup and opinion.
And that right there is how dangerous dos is in my openion....a doser that is described as hit or miss.....
I have heared this so many times from users and forums...

Last edited:

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a revision 2 or recent production Kore doser, it's not horrible BUT make sure to use the Windows software for it, not the Mac. Also, it's incredibly buggy and you have to learn all the quirks of the software. It does have an incredible range of features such as temperature alarm and optical ATO etc. It also has higher quality and relatively quieter Japanese dosing motors. The hardware is a power coated steel that is pretty and nicely made. There's also a definite unresolved bug where if you attempt to use the manual dose method it will dose your tank infinite amount of times because it seems to go into an infinite loop. So try to be there and monitor if you're using manual dose.

If I were to do it again, I would get a GHL 2.1 SA.

I believe only GHL, DOS, and the Pacific Sun Kore doser are using German made or Japanese made motors. Everyone else is using cheap Chinese motors that will probably die or constantly swing wildly out of calibration over time.

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DOS coming in today for AWC purposes. I also have familiarized myself with the necessary programming to setup and fail-safe it. Question that I have it how much of the issue are "user" errors and how many are product failures?

I know that I am using numerous optical sensors and"WHEN" statements and anything else that I can put in as a fail-safe to prevent the DOS from draining my tank or dumping in too much fresh salt mix.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a doser, I have had a Vertex Libra doser over 5 years and haven't had to change the heads or tubing. Finally going to retire it more than likely. FYI, I also bought it used as well. So that pump has been super reliable.

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two seperate Kamoer doser for years with no problems at all. I'm currently using a ghl 2.1 and absolutely love it

Back