What's the OLDEST piece of equipment you have running on your tank?

BRS

How old is the OLDEST piece of equipment you have running on your tank?

• Less than a year

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 1 - 2 Year

Votes: 80 17.4%
  • 3 - 4 Year

Votes: 87 18.9%
  • 5 - 7 Year

Votes: 81 17.6%
  • 8 - 10 Year

Votes: 45 9.8%
  • 10+ Years (do tell)

Votes: 112 24.3%

• Total voters

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a EuroReef skimmer that I bought used around 10 years ago. It’s original date is from sometime in the late ‘90s. On it’s second pump, a skimz dc pump, now, but still pulls the poop as well as anything new.

Screwgunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have 2 MJ 1200 that I use for mixing and transfer duties that are the old school ones from the 90s. I had a hagan 201 power head from 94 that I finally dropped and broke last year. :( I bought it at an LFS in Birmingham, Al. that hasn't been in business for over 20 years now.

I also have a jebao 12000 that the controller and power supply are under a rock next to my pond. It has been running since 2016 on the pond and was on a 210 gallon tank for two years before that. I have never taken it apart to clean it.

I just realized Thursday was this pond's 5th Birthday!
Thats all I run now except the little one for my reactor

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a Hydor Koralia K1 powerhead that is a bit more than 10 years old. It was a powerhead I used in my first sw aquarium. Still has the same propeller and everything, but I have lost the dry side magnet over time unfortunately. I use it to mix saltwater these days. Great piece of equipment.

Fishboy-1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Longevity of reefing equipment is a good thing of course and we should celebrate those pumps, lights and gear that has stood the test of salty time! So let's do it today and talk about the aquarium equipment that keeps on keeping on!

What's the OLDEST piece of equipment you have running on your tank and how old is it?

bigstock-Non-digital-Car-Odometer-Reach-348268522.jpg
An Iwaki WMD40 pump. Lasted all 16 years with my 210 reef setup. I just upgraded my whole system to a new and my DREAM 600 gallon reef. Of course I now run 2 of the Ecotech Vectra M2's. Much more quit and more fun!

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Like @Paul B , I have 1 Vortex diatom filter left but barely working.. I also have a couple Marineland Magnums from the 80,s still in use. and lastly, I forget the brand.. some little green air pump from my first tank in 1967. Yes, it still works and for its size, blows more air than ANYTHING twice its size from the 90,s and early 2k's I almost was going to say a piston pump but I trashed that a year ago.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Not running on my tank but my D-D aquarium solution refractometer...it has been with me for over a decade, still as good as day one and never once required a recalibration in all that time, you get what you pay for unlike these cheap Amazon and Ebay junk ones

Refractometer2 copy_0.jpg

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Tek T5 unit is 10 years old. I did replace one of the ballasts for 30 bucks once. That thing is awesome.

Blue Line return pump is about 8, I think.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have an original designed MTC Mini - Cal.
Bought used with a Mag 2 pump. Since changed to an Eheim when I broke the impeller housing.
I also had a used Iwaki 70 running for years & sold to a friend that ran it for years more.
Can't kill them Iwaki's!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Come on 10 years is nothing. Still in operation, I have iwaki pumps, Blueline pumps, MRC skimmers, a Venturi fed Top Fathom 110 skimmer still running as efficient as any modern Chinese molded one, not to mention durability since this is the subject. And lighting, still got plenty of Ice Cap VHO ballast 430’s and 660’s with wiring harness and end caps laying around and MH electronic ballast single 250W and Dual 250W. For sale, lol!

BRS

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 49 12.7%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 189 49.1%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 123 31.9%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.6%