What's the one fish you'd NEVER buy? And why...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny I lost alot of fish to the last one I owned. Once he got big he'd zip out of the rock bite whatever fish was closest and then zip back to his spot. The comb shaped teeth leave a distinctive mark.
Does your fish do any tricks? Yes, he bites.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nasty sohal tang

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm currently only running a nano - almost any fish that isn't nano compatible. I also love my reefs, so everything has to be reef safe too. I'd love a mandarin, but just won't take the chance unless I had a much larger tank. There are a lot of others I'd like, but won't buy for capacity/care/compatibility reasons.

If the full question "what's the one fish you'd never buy even if you were equipped to care for it," I think I'd go with any tang. I just really don't like them as aquarium fish. In the wild, they're neat. They're abundant, many species will school together, they're active, and they are often not shy about interacting with humans. But in a tank, they behave differently. They're still active (and pretty), but they're disease prone and often aggressive towards each other. I can see the appeal, but I'll never have one in one of my systems.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never buy a flame angel or any tangs again. Flame angel is a jerk and tangs have more disease than a $5 prositute.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearly jawfish. I love the fish but 3 have jumped out of my tank with less than 1mm gaps.......

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels for sure, but more specifically Green/Blue Chromis. I never thought I’d say Chromis. When they’re young they’re great but they get attitudes as they age. Introduced 4 new Sunburst Anthias a year ago. My largest Chromis body slammed one of them to the sandbed. Chromis later!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back