What's the one fish you'd NEVER buy? And why...

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised to hear how many people wouldn’t keep tangs for aggression/disease reasons? I currently have 6 tangs in my 220 and I’ve never had one issue with any of them.. all introduced at separate times too..
2 yellow 1 D. Sailfin 1 PBrown 1 Hippo 1 Gem
That’s because you don’t have a purple in that mix - or at least mine…

Shadowfax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor dottyback, very aggressive. Other than that, Goldfish, I don't like them (nobody said saltwater). Oh, I forgot about Tomato Clowns! nasty creatures.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because you don’t have a purple in that mix - or at least mine…

I do... three yellow, a purple and a kole.

One of the yellows came from my previous tank and all the others were added at the same time in my current tank. At first there was some bickering and even some visible wounds from the use of their "knives".

I just left them alone and they sorted themselves out just fine and all wounds gone. That was about 20 months ago. I do feed heavily including lots of Nori and they have lots of room in my tank.

But from what I've read, sometimes you're just unlucky and end up with real monsters!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any clownfish. Sixline wrasse (unless it was a frag tank only.) Orchid Dottyback. Lots of the Fish Only fish since I have no interest in a FOWLR.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns

Can't stand em. Every noob in the hobby wants a clown and then is shocked when they turn into tank jerks.

It's an orange damsel... what did you expect???

Hector Candelario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the one fish you'd NEVER buy?
And why...

Never ever will buy again ON AN IMPULSE must admit lol a Red Coris Wrasse, it lasted about a month and half in my tank and with a good reason we named him “satan” had me so irritated that I decided to take all my rock work and corals out in order to catch him and take him to the LFS NEVER AGAIN

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get worried reading through these threads. :oops: Lol. I'm doing my first saltwater tank build and most of the fish people mention are like the most common reef tank fish and a lot of them I was wanting to get based on my research I've done so far. Like clownfish, lawnmower blenny, and tangs etc.

I'm sure with some of them it's more about "a few bad apples" rather than the whole species. But still makes me nervous about spending a bunch of money on certain fish and then based on this threat I just envision them all reeking havoc and battling it out in my tank together to a perilous end. Lol. ;Dead

Jokes aside I do inderstand others though due to difficulty care reasons or known aggression but it's funny that you can find almost every fish on a thread like this.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What’s wrong with a six line? Mine has been an absolute joy in the tank. We love Lilly.
Mine was a model citizen as well! But one day, Bob was just gone.... I think my Niger and Spotted Hawk ate him...

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yellow tang. The most overrated and lame fish on the planet. And now with the pricing to boot... LOL

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get worried reading through these threads. :oops: Lol. I'm doing my first saltwater tank build and most of the fish people mention are like the most common reef tank fish and a lot of them I was wanting to get based on my research I've done so far. Like clownfish, lawnmower blenny, and tangs etc.

I'm sure with some of them it's more about "a few bad apples" rather than the whole species. But still makes me nervous about spending a bunch of money on certain fish and then based on this threat I just envision them all reeking havoc and battling it out in my tank together to a perilous end. Lol. ;Dead

Jokes aside I do inderstand others though due to difficulty care reasons or known aggression but it's funny that you can find almost every fish on a thread like this.
Captive-bred fish are the way to go...if you can find them. A lot of wild-caught specimens are probably incredibly stressed by the time they make it to our aquariums, and I'm sure that much of the reported problematic behaviour can be traced to traumatic capture, improper feeding, crowding, etc. Captive-bred specimens are used to aquaria, tend to be much hardier, and travel well. I've haven't had a problem with any captive-bred fish. Then again, I don't keep clownfish.

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang. The most overrated and lame fish on the planet. And now with the pricing to boot... LOL

It was always my number one fish to get since I went snorkeling in Hawaii as a teen. I still might get one, but the new price and the fact I already plan on a longnose butterfly/foxface I feel like I may be better served getting a tang that isn't yellow.

As for a fish I would never get...probably any type of wrasse. Idk, I just don't like them. For some reason I just don't like their boring shape. I also would never get something that requires it's own tank like a shark/ray....too boring.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back