What's the preferred overflow style? Is Bean Animal still the go-to option?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I had to research overflow styles. Is bean animal still the one most people prefer? Which one do you think is best?

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could always go with a single drain and modulating ball valve to control flow. :)

35EDE6CF-D06F-4E52-BF7F-B22B90E75932.jpeg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We talking overflow box H.O.B.?

Or the use of what holes you have available inside the mfgr builtin overflow(s)?

I would prefer buying a tank with overflows already builtin.

Say, like on my dual corner built-in overflows with 3/4 and 1" holes in each overflow.... I have ALL 4 holes draining. Actually two, one on each side with the 1"ers and the two 3/4"ers as backup. All returns coming back OVER the tank with loc-line ends.

Put this in the category of "doing your research before you buy"

Last edited:

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, you could always go with a single drain and modulating ball valve to control flow. :)

35EDE6CF-D06F-4E52-BF7F-B22B90E75932.jpeg
Which corals are you going to put in your tank? Maybe a nice $500 torch? Like that JF homewrecker? Let’s just say a few thousand in corals. How much do those laminate floors cost? A few thousand? You’re entire tank and floors rests on a single mechanical valve, that with fail with time, same as any other piece of equipment. Even if the valve fails and you don’t flood, well now your filtration, top off, and temperature control is isolated from your display….all because you literally put all your eggs in one basket, and your corals won’t have the life support that they need.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which corals are you going to put in your tank? Maybe a nice $500 torch? Like that JF homewrecker? Let’s just say a few thousand in corals. How much do those laminate floors cost? A few thousand? You’re entire tank and floors rests on a single mechanical valve, that with fail with time, same as any other piece of equipment. Even if the valve fails and you don’t flood, well now your filtration, top off, and temperature control is isolated from your display….all because you literally put all your eggs in one basket, and your corals won’t have the life support that they need.
Thanks for the positive vibes!

Yes it’s a calculated risk but well thought out with many different failsafes in place. If the valve fails open then the pump kicks into a PID loop to maintain display level. If it fails closed the pump turns off once display level reaches a certain level. Redundant ultrasonic sensors monitor water level in both sump and display tank to maintain these PID loops. No matter which way it fails there is a fallback which won’t end in a catastrophic loss, at least no more than any other tank.

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Yes it’s a calculated risk but well thought out with many different failsafes in place. If the valve fails open then the pump kicks into a PID loop to maintain display level. If it fails closed the pump turns off once display level reaches a certain level. Redundant ultrasonic sensors monitor water level in both sump and display tank to maintain these PID loops. No matter which way it fails there is a fallback which won’t end in a catastrophic loss, at least no more than any other tank.
Good deal! I wasn't being a brat for the sake of being a brat. I've been in this hobby for about 15 years, and the side that fascinates me the most is the building side. I'm glad you thought through the series of failures. Just wanted to play the devil's advocate for a minute :)

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The vacation boogie man is fierce and unpredictable. I’m sure you have remote access to Parameters /alerts for your tank. I have learned for peace of mind while away I need to be able to connect to a camera to make sure fish room is silent. Recent small upgrade for me. As long as you get live alerts by smart controller app or a live feed camera picking up new sounds while you’re away to can relax on vacation. If you realize something is up give someone a call that can get to your tank & be instructed to fix.
******Spellchecked ! Lol

Last edited:

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal! I wasn't being a brat for the sake of being a brat. I've been in this hobby for about 15 years, and the side that fascinates me the most is the building side. I'm glad you thought through the series of failures. Just wanted to play the devil's advocate for a minute :)

No worries! Really I wanted to design a tank with no visible plumbing just to see if I could. Since it’s a 12 gallon focused on zoas and flower nems I’m not too worried about a failures. It’s more an experiment than anything else. So far, I’m super happy with how it turned out.

The vacation boogie man is fierce and unpredictable. I’m sure you have remote access to Parameters /alerts for your tank. I have learned for peace of mind while away I need to be able to connect to a camera to make sure fish room is silent. Recent small upgrade for me. As long as you get live alerts by smart controller app or a live feed camera picking up new sounds while you’re away to can relax on vacation. If you realize something is up give someone a call that can get to your tank & be instructed to fix.
******Spellchecked ! Lol

Once I have all aspects of the controller built out I’ll have full remote access with alerts. The great thing about building my own controller is the ability to include more features than might be available on commercial controllers.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! Really I wanted to design a tank with no visible plumbing just to see if I could. Since it’s a 12 gallon focused on zoas and flower nems I’m not too worried about a failures. It’s more an experiment than anything else. So far, I’m super happy with how it turned out.

Once I have all aspects of the controller built out I’ll have full remote access with alerts. The great thing about building my own controller is the ability to include more features than might be available on commercial controllers.
Build me one ..lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back