What's the purpose of a loc line reducer?

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble finding an answer to this. I am looking into getting a 3/4" to 1/2" splitter and reducer (pic below) so that I can reuse parts from a previous system on my new build.

1) Will this reduce my flow? Intuitively, I think together two 1/2" is still 1" which is bigger than one 3/4" outlet, so I am guessing that it won't reduce flow, but fluid dynamics is not my expertise...

2) If flow is reduced, then by how much?

3) Will the reducer/splitter makes my return pump work harder? If so, is the extra wear on the pump significant enough to avoid the reducer/splitter?

4) Will the reducer\splitter add pressure to the system and increase the load/risk with my plumbing and joints?

Thanks for the help!
loc-line.jpeg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about pressure, splitting a 3/4 into two 1/2 is a negligible increase. Less than that of a 90* turn. Answer to 2,3, &4 is “don’t worry about it”.

The amount of “flow” should stay almost the same, minus the almost negligible increase in head pressure caused by the splitter. However, you will be changing from a .33 inches squares output to .4 inches squared of output (going from a .75” to two .5” round outputs). So although the amount of water being put out is the same, it will be at a lower velocity.

So will have virtually no effect on GPH, but the water will exit the tubing at lower velocity. If “penetration” is what you want, you will have less.

I am ignoring friction and such, just keeping this a basic two dimensional answer that is easy to follow.

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about pressure, splitting a 3/4 into two 1/2 is a negligible increase. Less than that of a 90* turn. Answer to 2,3, &4 is “don’t worry about it”.

The amount of “flow” should stay almost the same, minus the almost negligible increase in head pressure caused by the splitter. However, you will be changing from a .33 inches squares output to .4 inches squared of output (going from a .75” to two .5” round outputs). So although the amount of water being put out is the same, it will be at a lower velocity.

So will have virtually no effect on GPH, but the water will exit the tubing at lower velocity. If “penetration” is what you want, you will have less.

I am ignoring friction and such, just keeping this a basic two dimensional answer that is easy to follow.
Thanks so much for this. Makes sense. Good to know about the penetration too. My DC return pump is way stronger than I need so I can just turn it up a bit to compensate if needed, correct?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this. Makes sense. Good to know about the penetration too. My DC return pump is way stronger than I need so I can just turn it up a bit to compensate if needed, correct?

I’m not sure what the question is- you are asking if you turn up the power, will you get more flow?

If so, yes. And duh. ;)

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the question is- you are asking if you turn up the power, will you get more flow?

If so, yes. And duh. ;)
>"So although the amount of water being put out is the same, it will be at a lower velocity"

Lol I'll try again. I mean if the gph is the same but velocity of water coming out each hole is lower (because its divided), then turning up the gph will also will compensate for the velocity loss, right? In other words, the velocity loss is due to the flow being split in two rather than something like the output hole size being reduced or increased head pressure... ?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>"So although the amount of water being put out is the same, it will be at a lower velocity"

Lol I'll try again. I mean if the gph is the same but velocity of water coming out each hole is lower (because its divided), then turning up the gph will also will compensate for the velocity loss, right? In other words, the velocity loss is due to the flow being split in two rather than something like the output hole size being reduced or increased head pressure... ?

The velocity of the output is reduced because you went to a larger output size. It is now moving a wider stream of water at a lower speed. The GPH will remain just about the same.

Increasing pump power will increase your GPH AND the velocity of the water exiting the nozzle.

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The velocity of the output is reduced because you went to a larger output size. It is now moving a wider stream of water at a lower speed. The GPH will remain just about the same.

Increasing pump power will increase your GPH AND the velocity of the water exiting the nozzle.
Okay great. Thought so, but I don't like to assume about anything in this hobby. Thanks again for the clarification.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great. Thought so, but I don't like to assume about anything in this hobby. Thanks again for the clarification.

But the title of the thread didnt seem to have to do with the content- the purpose of a loc-lie reducer is to split flow in two directions instead of one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back